C71 Mach 1 coil spring markings

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhvidston

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang conv 302
1973 Mustang conv 351
Anyone know what color the coil spring stripe marks would be for a 71 Mach 1 with 351C,4v PS no AC ?

Depending on build date

could be

1 gold 1 pink

or

1 gold 1 tan

Depending on build date

could be

1 gold 1 pink

or

1 gold 1 tan
Thanks for the reply... my car has an early build date of 11/70...

would that be the gold pink?

Thanks

When I replaced my front end suspension, I ended up reusing my original factory springs, long story!! Cleaning them up reveled the original paint markings. The photo posted those markings, pink, gold and white ( or is that white, pink, gold?). Date code would be before Feb 71 and for a 71 351C 4V 4 speed. Springs might be different rating for an auto, therefore the marking would be different I guess. Hope this helps. I replicated those marking exactly when I repainted the springs. I don't have a pic right now, but I will post one shortly. NOTE: the pink is more a 'dusty rose' color

Geoff

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on build date

could be

1 gold 1 pink

or

1 gold 1 tan

Thanks
The cut off is some time during 11 / 70

Most of the lists I have show pink / gold

The white marking on stanglovers spring is not in line with the pink / gold markings.

It must be for something else - I find no listing for pink / gold / white

Anyone know what color the coil spring stripe marks would be for a 71 Mach 1 with 351C,4v PS no AC ?
I am pretty sure the springs came with two sets (colours) of paint daubs, not three... these are my original springs out of my 429cj convertible and these are the correct colours for this application.

Front Coil Springs with Paint Daubs2.jpg

Depending on build date

could be

1 gold 1 pink

or

1 gold 1 tan

Thanks

The white marking on stanglovers spring is not in line with the pink / gold markings.

Interesting, but the 3 paint markings are absolutely original factory markings. The history on this car would definitely not indicate a spring change at any time. Perhaps it is because my car was manual drums, steering and trans which might mean a different weight load, therefore a different spring rate. I wonder if Eaton Detroit Springs can shed light on that? They were the original OEM supplier.

I likely could have pictured the 3 paint marking together, but at that time, all I was interested in was recording the colors and relative position.

I just found another picture of the spring that does show all three colors and their position. It would be interesting to know what the white markings meant if only 2 colors indicated the spring rate for MY car!!

It might appear there is a blue mark as well, that is just reflection.

Depending on build date

could be

1 gold 1 pink

or

1 gold 1 tan

Thanks

Thanks for the photos... that looks great... Ive seen that color combo before on a 73

convertible with 351 2v AC

much appreciated

From my research definitely a 2 color part designation. The third color for white could have been an assembly marking for installation purposes showing the line which way to orient the spring quickly. I would maintain your documentation and possibly seek out some more input from known MCA judges or through Concourse websites and materials. I went with the documented 2 color part designation markings on my spring. I did not locate a third white stripe. My colors were also Pink & Gold for a 12/72 build, 351C-2V, FMX, non-ac, PS, Power disc. Hope it helps and update us if you find out more information.

05212013 208.jpg

1972 29.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
From my research definitely a 2 color part designation. The third color for white could have been an assembly marking for installation purposes showing the line which way to orient the spring quickly. I would maintain your documentation and possibly seek out some more input from known MCA judges or through Concourse websites and materials. I went with the documented 2 color part designation markings on my spring. I did not locate a third white stripe. My colors were also Pink & Gold for a 12/72 build, 351C-2V, FMX, non-ac, PS, Power disc. Hope it helps and update us if you find out more information.

I agree, the white stripe could be for assembly, but if that were true, wouldn't others have found the white stripe as well? Maybe as mine was a Dearborn car, it could just be that plant that used it.......or not!

Strange!!!!!!

I believe all of the 71-73's were Dearborn built. Not 100% but thinking that is the case. Mine was also a Dearborn build. If you have your photo's for documentation I would keep them handy. In some cases you are building the car to judging criteria not always what you saw on the car when you tore it down. It would always be easier to add the white if the judge feels you should have it versus trying to remove it if the judge feels it should not be there. There may be a lot of discussion regarding this last statement, just please understand that judging is against a standard set from many observed cars not just your car. I always prefer to caution people that sometimes it is easier to add a unique mark with your documentation than to remove it based upon what the judge has on the worksheet.

I believe all of the 71-73's were Dearborn built. Not 100% but thinking that is the case. Mine was also a Dearborn build. If you have your photo's for documentation I would keep them handy. In some cases you are building the car to judging criteria not always what you saw on the car when you tore it down. It would always be easier to add the white if the judge feels you should have it versus trying to remove it if the judge feels it should not be there. There may be a lot of discussion regarding this last statement, just please understand that judging is against a standard set from many observed cars not just your car. I always prefer to caution people that sometimes it is easier to add a unique mark with your documentation than to remove it based upon what the judge has on the worksheet.
I can't be totally sure, but I do believe some 71-73 mustang production was at Metuchen. Kevin Marti's book "The Mustang and Cougar Tagbook (1965-1973) shows buck tags for 71's at Metuchen as well as Dearborn. 72-73 looks like only Dearborn, could be wrong there though, but I'm sure someone with better knowledge will clarify.

In my case, yes I photographed the spring for record and to replicate the color and position. I did not do it for any judging reason, couldn't care less, not my bag. I did it for my own satisfaction and to me that is more important than what some "judge" thinks. I don't disagree with your statements though, don't get me wrong, all valid points.

I don't yet know if I will get anywhere, but I have emailed Eaton Detroit Springs as an OEM supplier, to enquire if they can add any light on this subject. I'll be sure to post if I do find anything interesting.

Geoff.

71's were built at both plants

72 and 73's were Dearborn only

That does confirm KM's tagbook. Kinda strange when you think about it, that Ford would tool 2 plants to build the same car, then pull production from 1 after only 1 year. Sales must not have been as expected for the 71's.

That does confirm KM's tagbook. Kinda strange when you think about it, that Ford would tool 2 plants to build the same car, then pull production from 1 after only 1 year. Sales must not have been as expected for the 71's.
Both plants built Mustangs for years.

From 65 to 1970 Mustangs were built in 3 plants, there was one in San Jose

Yes, sales started tanking so it was all done from Dearborn

I've not heard anything definite from Eaton Springs, but they are looking into it. More later if I get any good info.

In the meantime, I did get a picture of my installed springs. Not the best, but the white paint can just be seen centered to the spring perch. I tried to get the paint stripes exactly where they were on the originals. Low and behold, the white stripe is dead center to the perch, so I guess it could well be for assembly alignment. BUT why only on my springs has this white stripe been found?? There can be no doubt it was from the factory, Ford or Eaton. Anyone replacing springs would simply go by the locate tab on the back of the perch, wouldn't need to paint a stripe for that!!

Back