cam selection

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

if you build the engine, i would install moroso cam bearing oil restrictors or F26 bearings.

c9zx,

After looking in my 1972 vol.2 ford service manual, I happen to see a fatal flaw in the MoCo's tooling (T65L-6250-A ) cam bearing puller/installer.

looking at the illustration, there is no means to hold the tooling square to the block while pulling, One would think there would be a centering cone. there is not.

A friend has a Lisle installer that uses an expandable collet and a centering cone and one drives the bearings in and out with a dead blow hammer.

only problem with that is how to be super precise in getting the depth correct.

I may use a combination of both tools to get what I want.

use the driver to get square and close and the puller for precise depth.

or find or make a centering cone for the ford tool.

Hope I am not over thinking this but really want to get ir right the first time.

Boilermaster

if you build the engine, i would install moroso cam bearing oil restrictors or F26 bearings.
barnett468,

Have used the moroso restrictors in the past, and they are on my shopping list.

Boilermaster

Last edited by a moderator:
Boilermaster, It sounds like you have a good plan to me. Pick a day when you are calm and patient, and no beer before the installation. After the installation, cheers!::beer:: Chuck

Pick a day when you are calm and patient, and no beer before the installation.
Where's the challenge in that?

Pick a day when you are calm and patient, and no beer before the installation.
Where's the challenge in that?
Fellas

There are no calm patient days these days.

Working in the garage IS what makes me calm and patient.

Will be picking up cam bearing tools tomorrow afternoon , probably only get the bearings pulled and the oil passages and block internals cleaned out.

Should have bearings Tuesday, late afternoon.

boilermaster

Take your time and you'll be fine. You can mark the block and each bearing with a sharpie to get the holes properly clocked...but you probably knew that :)

Finally received the cam bearings and went at installing them this evening.

Decided to use Sealed Power bearings, per recommendation of my engine builder buddy.

I had previously tapped cam bearing oil feeds 2-5 for the Moroso restrictors but not installed yet.

marked each bearing with a sharpie and another on the block for alignment.

Measured the oil hole in the bearings and modified a 1/4'' roll pin driver so I would know exactly how far to drive each bearing.

got # 5 installed to depth, checked for proper depth, installed #4 checked for depth and then did what my engine builder recommended, I installed the cam (used masking tape on each lobe for no scratches) and then I checked for tightness by rotating the cam.

Installed # 3 bearing and again installed camshaft.

Now I started working from the back of the block driving bearings toward the front.

When I was about 1/8'' from where I wanted the # 1 bearing I started

measuring clearance to the front of the block (just to get a good idea

of how much I was moving the bearing with each tap of the hammer blow)

Really took a long time to get to .005'' to the face of the thrust plate

but the end result was way good, I can easily rotate the camshaft with just thumb and index finger.

Will re-clean block again tomorrow and begin re-assembly.

Thinking of buying a blueprinted stock oil pump, but for $ 120.00 I may just get stock pump and check the tolerances myself.

Oh well tomorrow is another day.

Boilermaster

Back