camshaft

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPAIN72MUSTANG

Reaction score
My Car
1972 mustang convertible
2008 ford edge
2006 cadillac cts
Picture.jpglooking for someone that can tell me if this cam is any good for my build or should look into getting a better cam, i had the engine rebuilt with a edelbrock duel plane intake and 4bl 600 cfm carb and ford motor gt40 aluminum heads with 2inch valves here is a pic of the cam please any advice thanks ron

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm less familiar with cams for the 302, and with your more modern heads, I have more concerns about what would be right. I'd say based on the specs that it is a pretty mild cam and should be fine for stock performance level and mild upgrades. I would expect excellent vacuum and idle characteristics, but . . . camshafts are relatively cheap items when you consider the additional costs of time and gaskets and fluids and lifters and timing chain etc. I would talk to a cam manufacturer about your set up and goals and get their recommendations.

I agree 100% with Jeff. That's a very mild cam, and with your manifold and carb intentions, I think you may be looking for something a bit more aggressive. My cam is considered mild with a duration of 218 - 224 and about .5 lift.

73vert. thanks I think you guys are right, I pay to have it done right and this guy gives me a mild low cam when I wanted the best set up for my ride.

There are a few versions of the gt40 heads. I would think that Ford Racing should have some cam suggestions for the version you have. Keep in mind those heads are also considered a bit mild and that may be why you have that cam. Ford should have flow rates for the heads available.

Wwhite72 I had a shop do the build and I told him what I wanted and I told him I wanted a real good cam and I should of a got a better cam for what I paid for it,I was looking for someone else that new about cams so tommorow when I go to his shop I can tell him why he put in a week cam thanks

Hey man, i have heard many euro-posters here say that mechanics that are familiar with classic yankee iron are hard to come by over there. Hell they are hard to come by over here! I am not saying the cam is bad, i AM saying you should be able to find info from a Ford Racing site that will give you flow numbers and help determine what cam grind will do what with those heads. You saw comments that said it is a mild grind. Would it run well? Yes, it should run well, and a smooth idle as well. Will it off the top HP rating for a quarter mile run? No. Do you plan to race the car? So...perhaps you should take a few minutes, or more to find out what profiles have been used on your heads and see what will best work with what you want out of the engine? It's fun. Check it out!

It is a hobby, and a labour of love to run these cars. Get involved with it. Perhaps not to bust yer knuckles on hose clamps, but to at least know what is making them work....or stop working. Ha ha

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree you have a very mild cam. However if the GT-40 heads have 2 in valves (intake presumably??)they've been reworked. In that case I would definately not use a single duration FRPP alphabet cam. 73Vertproject's cam is a v good street torque cam(Comp XE270HR112?? betch'a)Though not knowing what the rest of your combo & intended use, it's very hard to acurately suggest a "Best Cam".

Soooo, Street or Track use, a little of both??

The intended use should determine your Combo, Carb & CFM, intake, headers & exhaust, gearing & tranny. Your combo as a whole, determines where your desired Torque, RPM, and HP will occour.

That cam profile is pretty mild. If you think about it, the Ford E-303 cam was 220/220 @ .050" and it made great power, very streetable and even passed California emissions. If you dont want ti pay fir a custom cam, thats an option.

Just a differing opinion.

The Ford alphabet cams BEFXZ are very old tech, OLD!!!

Ford engines are small valved on the exhaust side and passages are relatively small. Single pattern cams BEFXZ do not help an already bad situation.

Take a look at any of the other aftermarket producers profiles Crane, Comp, Lunati, Trick Flow, and the rest. Dual pattern cams!!

Plz excuse my forthrightness, however, I simply cannot reccommend any of the FRPP BEFXZ cams. Use them if you will to establish a performance range, then choose a dual pattern cam with the same intake duration and longer exhaust duration, for a much better cam choice.

cazsper I'm sure you know there is no ill intent toward you, just an honest differing opinion.

Respy Tubo

Not at all. It was just an option. But if I had my choice of the original cam from this thread and an E cam, I would go with the E cam. They made decent power and they were inexpensive. Much more so than a custom cam. But if money isn't a factor, you're much better off buying a custom cam.

Back