Can someone give me some help with locating VIN locations?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Praetorian27

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 351 Cobra Jet
Hi guys, sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have searched the internet and the only thing I could find was the location under the left front fender. I am ready to buy a 73 Mach 1 that the seller is claiming matching numbers on. I would like to verify this when I look at the car. Can anyone help me out with the locations on the 4 speed transmission and engine VIN locations on a 73 351 CJ?

DISREGARD!!! Don helped me out with this already...sorry for the post

Last edited by a moderator:
Engine is DS top back of block. You'll need one of those mirrors that collapse and swivels to see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
1)passenger and drivers side above the shock towers under the fender lips. you will have to unbolt the top the fender to hope to see it, you can crack the grill or cause paint and body damage you need to be super careful.

2)Dash pad vin drivers side under windshield(this vin is removable and not used to determine matching # but helps.)

3)Drivers Door data plate. (this plate is replaceable and not used to determine matching # but helps.)

4)engine block drivers side under the cylinder head towards firewall, very hard to see, need mirror and luck.

5)Top of transmission case behind bell housing, would need to drop trans to see, not all cars have it, usually only stamped on V4, HO cars, CJ,SCJ cars.

The seats will have a black metal tag attached to the springs with the vin number. I don't remember if it is on the bottom or behind the rear access panel on the front buckets. Also look inside of the trunk, up under the trunk lip where the seal fits. I have seen the vin number stamped here also, but not on all cars, you will need a flash light or a mirror to see it.

Back