Can you fit a power antenna under the fender?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uk1973

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible 302/C4
As above on a 73 mustang the original antenna is Hugh and does not contract all the way.

I looked and there is hardly any space to put an electric antenna motor especially if you try to use the correct location.

Is or was there ever a stumpy sized power antenna that would fit in the original location, or should I just bite the bullet and fit one in the rear quarter and weld up the fender hole.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did on a coupe many years ago, don't remember it being a problem

I personally prefer the non retractable 1 piece antenna whips.
You got a link to one that would fit, I thought that the cowl panel was very close making fitting hard.

I seem to remember buying a generic fully retractable telescopic antenna that you would push in flush to the mounting nut, but the underside that would hold the retracted telescopic elements was hitting off the cowl area, this I imagine was 8"-10" inches underside of the fender. similar to this type http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Replacement-AM-FM-Car-Stereo-Radio-Antenna-Aerial-Telescopic-Chrome-/361643976195?hash=item5433a92603:g:wEMAAOSwWnFWBCxs&vxp=mtr

No that was 25 years ago. There are so many universal ones it would be hard to guess at what might fit.

One suggestion I might make would be to make a cardboard cut out of the dimensions of one you intend to try and see what your actual clearances look like.

No that was 25 years ago. There are so many universal ones it would be hard to guess at what might fit.

One suggestion I might make would be to make a cardboard cut out of the dimensions of one you intend to try and see what your actual clearances look like.
25 year ago, I remember as if it was yesterday ;)

Good idea with doing a cardboard template, I'll most likely do that. I have the original long antenna but I'm going to be parking my car outside on the streets of London and will use a car cover and the Antenna is a problem in that respect, I did try those internal windscreen aerials but it was worst than useless.

There are an increasing amount of classic cars parked and used on the local roads of London.

I Stitched a button hole to act like a grommet in my car cover

Roll the back to the antenna, roll the front to the antenna, roll the drivers side to the antenna, roll the passenger side up from the bottom and lift straight off. Installation is the reverse. Worked well enough until I built a garage.

I had one in my '72 back in the 80's and it fit. Seems like it was out of a T-Bird that I got in a wrecking yard, but couldn't begin to tell you what year the car was.

Steve

I put a removable mast on my car from a late '80s/early '90s Mustang.

I've put them on 4 classic cars I've had. I just put the original antenna in a box off to the side in the basement.

They're available in black bezel and antenna or chrome. They're great for car covers, too. no need to poke a hole in it.

No extra holes to drill. I think there was a nub to cut off the plastic base that sits on the fender. I'm also pretty sure I reversed that plastic base to get the antenna to be vertical. It's an easy, straightforward install.

Rick

I Stitched a button hole to act like a grommet in my car cover

Roll the back to the antenna, roll the front to the antenna, roll the drivers side to the antenna, roll the passenger side up from the bottom and lift straight off. Installation is the reverse. Worked well enough until I built a garage.
A good idea, wouldn't work on London streets, that antenna would be like a red rag to a bull popping through the cover, kids or for that matter adults would bend or rip it off in no time.

I've put them on 4 classic cars I've had. I just put the original antenna in a box off to the side in the basement.

They're available in black bezel and antenna or chrome. They're great for car covers, too. no need to poke a hole in it.

No extra holes to drill. I think there was a nub to cut off the plastic base that sits on the fender. I'm also pretty sure I reversed that plastic base to get the antenna to be vertical. It's an easy, straightforward install.

Rick

I don't mind having a fixed antenna, as long as it can be removed at the base, just leaving the fixing plate on the fender, I have a standard repro 73 antenna that telescopes down but it still sticks approx 12" out of the fender, if it unscrewed at the base I'd be happy.

Are Fox body mustangs fixed antenna removable at the base? I'm not familiar with fox bodies, if so that would be the easiest option for me; still I'd love to have a power antenna in the fender.

Yes - when I put mine on I just put it on hand tight so it's easily removed without tools. (I haven't had one stolen yet).

I'll take a pic and try to post it later today.

Rick

I don't mind having a fixed antenna, as long as it can be removed at the base, just leaving the fixing plate on the fender, I have a standard repro 73 antenna that telescopes down but it still sticks approx 12" out of the fender, if it unscrewed at the base I'd be happy.

Are Fox body mustangs fixed antenna removable at the base? I'm not familiar with fox bodies, if so that would be the easiest option for me; still I'd love to have a power antenna in the fender.

Try NPD

https://www.npdlink.com/store/catalog/Mustang_Antenna-4965-1.html

If you are in no hurry wait for a month and ship it with my items
Not in a hurry and thanks for the offer.

This is more a project for next year, looking at the NPD link none of those screw apart at the base, the power option one looks similar to the generics available on ebay uk for £20-30, I think the method to fit the power option involves removing the fender.

I quite like the idea of the standard whip antenna that unscrews at the base as apparently available on fox bodies.

I seem to remember a few years ago seeing them for sale may have been on 'west coast classic cougar' but don't see them now. Any link to screw off rectangular base whip antenna appreciated.

Edit, may be this is the Fox body antenna I need http://www.cjponyparts.com/bright-finish-antenna-kit-1979-1993/p/ANT9D/ doesn't mention about unscrewing at the base though, if it does it would do just fine.

Try NPD

https://www.npdlink.com/store/catalog/Mustang_Antenna-4965-1.html

If you are in no hurry wait for a month and ship it with my items
Not in a hurry and thanks for the offer.

This is more a project for next year, looking at the NPD link none of those screw apart at the base, the power option one looks similar to the generics available on ebay uk for £20-30, I think the method to fit the power option involves removing the fender.

I quite like the idea of the standard whip antenna that unscrews at the base as apparently available on fox bodies.

I seem to remember a few years ago seeing them for sale may have been on 'west coast classic cougar' but don't see them now. Any link to screw off rectangular base whip antenna appreciated.
I sell a correct 73 antenna, it unscrews at the base

It mounts with 4 screws to the fender not a generic ring fit

http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=1841

Don

I always got mine at the local ford dealer. The one on my '72 was within the past 5 years.

I'd imagine they're still available.

If not - search "antenna base Ford Mustang" on Ebay.

I got several hits. Just make sure it fits 87-93.

You can get the whip separate.

You can also try your local salvage yards. I'm sure you can find one there, too.

aah - you're in London - local salvage yard may not work as well as if you were stateside.

Ebay may be your best option.

Here you go...

Actually, looking at the pitting, this must have been an Ebay purchase, as well. It hasn't been out enough to get pitted in the time I've had he car.

Thanks for all the info and the pic from rpxr400 which really helped, I tried looking at Don's web picture but detail was too hard to discern.

I know Don 'Ohio Mustang Supply' is a big supporter of 71/3 from reading this forum and it's really good to know that someone is starting to deal with parts for this marque. Don, I will order from you when the time comes for me to swapout, oh and get bigger pics my eyes ain't what they used to be. ;)

Back