Can you replace red mustang insert in aluminium slotted wheel center caps.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtcs1

Reaction score
My Car
1973 convertible, H Code
Hi,

My Wheels center caps red emblem are faded. Instead of purchasing new caps, is it possible to replace just the insert, how to do it, and where to buy it?

Thanks

Pierre

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think so as one of our ex-members had changed his black inserts on the Magnum 500s with red ones but don't ask me how.

I think the metal is melted or bent over on the centers caps for the 73 wheels. Once they come apart you can't fix them.

I went through this exact same thing on my 73. My chrome center pieces were in really nice shape but the centers not so much. I was able to get the center out without much trouble and then was going to epoxy in a new one...problem is no one makes the center caps only as far as I could tell so I ended up buying complete new ones.

You could check with Don and see if he can order only the centers?

Last edited by a moderator:
The center plastic piece was staked in probably with an air or hydraulic fixture. You might try to contact the manufacturer of the current assemblies and see if they will sell just the centers. There were also Maverick and Mercury centers in the same chrome piece. I have a perfect set of Mercury if I could get the mustang I would switch. Have 4 sets of the wheels turned down another set at Charlotte swap meet in spring for $125.

I actually made a rubber mold and made some 1956 ford hub cap centers using epoxy before they repoed them. You need a vacuum chamber to do a great job. You fill in the details with brush and do the silver to what is left.

Does Daniel or Dennis Carpenter make the current repo caps?

Back