Cannot get the old rear sway bar off

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 dark green
Went to install my new Addco 990 bar today and got stopped cold in my tracks.  The bolts holding the bushing mounts, all 4, are spinning with the nuts.  No idea how to fix this.

bushings.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to install my new Addco 990 bar today and got stopped cold in my tracks.  The bolts holding the bushing mounts, all 4, are spinning with the nuts.  No idea how to fix this.
Penetrating oil first. You need two wrenches, top and bottom. You got a new mount kit with the new bar, if all else fails, cut the rods, scrap anyways. You MAY have to drop the exhaust on one side depending on how your pipes were bent. I had to drop one side at the muffler, after that it was easy peasy. Just measure from the frame either side to make sure it's even. Mine was 4".

IMG_1789.JPG

IMG_1775.JPG

Not talking about the end links.  The bolts come down from the box frame to mount the two bushings are the problem, no access to the top of them.

bushings.jpg

Not talking about the end links.  The bolts come down from the box frame to mount the two bushings are the problem, no access to the top of them.
Ah, sorry I missed what you were talking about. My bad! I'm pretty sure those are (supposed to be) weld nuts on the inside of the frame. If they've broken loose, you got a problem. In earlier posts, there is a sketch of a mounting system for an aftermarket type sway bar that shows a sort of U bolt that can be passed through the frame and the bracket bolts up to that. You might have to cut the current bolts and find those U bolt thingys. Other than that, I feel your pain. See Lazarus's post April 26th. P 1,  Sketch.

https://7173mustangs.com/forums/topic/38104-sway-bar-brands/?do=getNewComment

My 72 Q code rear sway bar frame bushings are fastened with coarse threaded, hex head, sheet metal screws. It surprised me but, it appears to be original. It sounds like the threads rusted away. Try to get a pry bar bushing strap and pry while turning the screw. Chuck

Cut them off and pop out the interior nuts. Then install a rivet nuts in there place. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

My 72 Q code rear sway bar frame bushings are fastened with coarse threaded, hex head, sheet metal screws. It surprised me but, it appears to be original. It sounds like the threads rusted away. Try to get a pry bar bushing strap and pry while turning the screw. Chuck
Really!!! Ford must have wanted to cut costs big time to eliminate 4 weld-nuts. My 71 M code has 5/16-18 thread bolts with locator tips that obviously screw into weld-nuts. I'm still using the originals.

I was surprised as well. There were no other holes and the screws looked to be original. I re-used them with no problems. Chuck

Back