Can't remove key from ignition

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach1
New problem just encountered. When I shut the car off, the ignition cylinder won't go all the way back to release the key. It will start, and I've turned the steering wheel back and forth with it running so it's not the locked column you can get sometimes. I have to think this is an adjustment that has to do with having the car in park. My reverse light adjustment is also a bit off. Can someone please give me some quick pointers. Especially on the key removal? Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's likely the lock rod adjustment. If it's not in the correct position, when in Park, it won't allow the key to be turned all the way to the lock position and the key removed.

I read this on another post from 2014 and it worked with ease. 

The ignition lock collar and mechanism are either out of adjustment or disconnected. Just grab the ring ( the part of the column an inch or so behind the steering wheel) and turn it counter-clockwise as far as it will go...your key should be able to be turned back and removed now.

You can reinstall the backdrive rod from the shift linkage to the column - if it will clear your headers. In the past, I've used a zip tie through the lever on the column to any handy location on the firewall. 

You can reinstall the backdrive rod from the shift linkage to the column - if it will clear your headers. In the past, I've used a zip tie through the lever on the column to any handy location on the firewall. 
Thanks! I'll look into that. I know I threw something out of adjustment when I replaced the engine and tranny mounts. Just wasn't sure what. I do have Hooker long tubes, but nothing hitting them currently. 

If you have a backdrive rod installed the collar on your column will rotate when you move the shifter out of Park. If the collar doesn't move when you move the shifter somebody has already tossed the bacckdrive rod in the trash...

I read this on another post from 2014 and it worked with ease. 

The ignition lock collar and mechanism are either out of adjustment or disconnected. Just grab the ring ( the part of the column an inch or so behind the steering wheel) and turn it counter-clockwise as far as it will go...your key should be able to be turned back and removed now.
Yup, I can confirm this works! I had the same issue today, and turning that ring counterclockwise did it for me! 

Back