Car Died while driving, changed solenoid, Still would not start. Charged battery, and now starter continues to turn, even when ignition is in the OFF

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griffbl

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach 1
2014 Ford F150
2018 Porsche Panamera

[url=https://ibb.co/i2uhXQ][img]https://preview.ibb.co/h0A0K5/815f.jpg[/img][/url]
Well, took the old Mach 1 out for a late night spin and, well, not good. Car died while approaching an intersection. Kind of like all at once. Felt electrical in nature. Engine would NOT turn over. Dead. Headlights on. Interior lights on. After a tow (never fun) I got her home. I had a new quality Solenoid, which I had been meaning to install, and just did so. I didn't think that would fix it, but it needed doing. Voltage regulator is waiting for me at parts shop. That is next. Car does not turn over...just click click click. Battery is a Duralast from 5/18. Interior lights are bright. Just took my battery tester / charger to another place, so I placed a slow charger on it just to make sure it is at full charge. Battery terminals exceptionally clean.  Now after charging, plenty of juice at starter....it started right up, but starter continued running after i returned the key to the off position, along with the engine. I can't believe i didn't install the Solenoid EXACTLY as before, so I will check again. Any suggestions much appreciated! I will be updating the terrible looking battery cables and alternator harness soon! I just want to get running in the interim....

Brad

A72802DA-61BA-42E9-B800-07B8EADF8D8B.jpeg

7CA8797D-505F-48EB-BF4A-9C9A10A94021.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad new starter solenoid: it is now stuck in the on position.  Get another brand.

If this is the one from AMK (concours quality), these are known to get stuck and should not be used, EVER.

T

Bad new starter solenoid: it is now stuck in the on position.  Get another brand.

If this is the one from AMK (concours quality), these are known to get stuck and should not be used, EVER.
This is exactly that: an AMK concours Starter Solenoid, NIB,  I had lying around from a 65' build. Your reply is EXACTLY the perfect explanation. NEVER dreamed that could happen. Now it makes sense. Car kind of acts like it cooked either my ignition switch, or the battery is just that gone.  I will attempt to charge the battery, and replace the solenoid, AGAIN, tomorrow. Thank you so much for the help!

Back