Car Life September 1970 - 1971 Boss 351

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
Boss 351 part of article. Interesting because just 3 months from the Car Life September 1970 Magazine article - November 1970 Ford Announced their complete withdrawal from all factory supported racing. In the very same month of November, they introduced the Boss 351 at the Detroit Auto Show.

The incorrect information in this article is crazy! Then the pre-production pic - wow.

Hope others find it as historically interesting as I did.

September 1970 Car Life Magazine Boss 351.JPG

Ray

Wow, fat side stripes, urethane bumper and flat hood are the first things I noticed. Looks pretty weird when you're used to their usual looks.

Interesting also how in September of 1970, Ford was telling the magazine reporters about the planned two years of Boss 351 production with 5000 units for each year. Total of actual production was just 1,806. Then in 1972 no Boss 351's were offered but the 351-HO (lower compression Boss 351 engine) was made available in ALL (hardtop, sportsroof, convertible, Grande and Mach 1) 1972 Mustangs. I would love to see a 1972 351 HO Grande!

Ray

Looks like that one pictured has Power Windows?!
It is also missing:

• Trunk Spoiler
  • NASA Hood
  • Hood Locks
  • Radio Antenna

Nothing else jumped out at me.

My Boss came without an antenna. My convertible same way.

It was not that unusual. People wanted to buy their own. I had some very cool Pioneer "supertuner" models. They had AM-FM and cassette player.

I don't think all Boss 351's came with rear deck spoiler. Mine has it listed on the WIndow sticker, invoice and Marti as a additional cost option.

Ray

My boss didn't come with the rear spoiler and the Marti report confirms it. I later added it on.

Nevertheless ultra kool article. I kinda like the flat hood and no spoiler look. It would look mean dropped and with wide meats :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Much better (similar) pic.

1971 Mustang pre production pics.jpg

Notice on the Mach 1 and pre-production Boss 351 the early production metal (chromed) surrounds for the grill lights. And notice no amber lens. --- And the clear turn signal lens!!!

Ray

Latest posts

Back