car shakes and dies out at stop

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPAIN72MUSTANG

Reaction score
My Car
1972 mustang convertible
2008 ford edge
2006 cadillac cts
i need help,the car been at paint and body shop for a month,got it from the body shop it drove fine went to get gas filled it up and droped it at work 4 hours later got in it to drive home,the car started shakeing and dyeing out at stop any one with any ideas please help.....

Have you checked for a vacuum leak?

What type of ignition do you have? (i.e., factory breaker point or electronic)

It could be water contaminated gas. Is the gas station close to your work place? If it is there may have been enough good gas in the carb and lines to get you to work without a problem and the good gas was expended by the time you left work. This is just a WAG at this point. Any other symptoms? Chuck

CHRIS DID NOT LOOK AT VACUM LEAKS YET I GOT HOME LATE FROM WORK AND IT WAS TOO DARK SO FIGURE TODAY AFTER WORK I LOOK AT THE VACUM LINES...

C9ZX THATS POSSIBLE I THINK ON MY WAY HOME I WILL GET OCTANE BOOSTER TO THROW IN THERE....

CHRIS I HAVE ELECTRONIC... MALLORY

Last edited by a moderator:
Seen the bad gas thing around here, more water than gas:mad: but if you are running points, would check them also. Just take it in logical steps before making huge moves, ie....fuel, fire, and then something more.

TNFASTBK THATS TWO PEOPLE THAT SAID BAD GAS, I HOPE THATS IT I HAVE ELCTRONIC ING NO MORE POINTS, ITHOUGHT ONCE I GOT THE CAR BACK I START WORKING ON THE RADIO AND OTHER STUFF,NOW I GOT TO FIGURE THIS PROBLEM FIRST THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR THOUGHTS...ANY ONE ELSE WITH A MAGICAL CURE LOL

Gunk or trash in the carb. Perhaps from sitting a little while let stuff settle really good in the fuel tank and then it got sucked up into the fuel line. Just a guess, but I had similar dirty carb issues that made the same symptoms due to the fuel bowl getting flooded at stops.

It is going to be something simple...

Vacuum hose

Ignition wire

Never had a fuel issue, although a clogged fuel filter lets your car idle but no power under load(opposite of your issue).

It is going to be something simple...

Vacuum hose

Ignition wire

Never had a fuel issue, although a clogged fuel filter lets your car idle but no power under load(opposite of your issue).
Now i seen some bad gas do that a few times!!..So bad the car some spitting in and dieing at every stop.... Its rare...But happens....Before everything else...I would unhook your fuel line..stick it in a bucket or something so you dont loose the gas it will be pumping out....if you dont have a premade burp tank...i like to use old radiator fluid bottles..Cut a small hole in the bottom and run a fuel line in there...make sure it seals good so it dont leak.....Fill it with good fresh gas from a diffrent station...And hang it up high on your hood or a poll next too it...Pretty much gavity feeding your carb...So you know for a fact...its not bad gas...Then you can trouble shoot from there if its still runing like hell....I made a little burp tank i use all the time for such testing...Then if it still runing like that with diffrent fuel..then you can cutt that out as the problem.

Little mustang 2 i been working on....you can see the burp tank i made and put on a high stand next too the car so it gravity feeds what fuel i want in it.....the gas in the car is 15 years old...lol.....The tank easy to make...Less than 10 min to make if you got some extra fuel line laying around.

im leaveing work at 4pm central time and im going straight to the garage and start working on the problem ,thanks for all the advice.... will let you know what i find was the issue

im leaveing work at 4pm central time and im going straight to the garage and start working on the problem ,thanks for all the advice.... will let you know what i find was the issue
Took me a while to remember, but when I had my convertible top replaced, the shop was extremely worried someone would swipe the car. So he removed the distributor rotor. When he finished the job, he put the rotor back on, but didn't mount the cap correctly. I drove about 2 miles without an issue, then all of a sudden the car started coughing and spitting like a chevy.

Fortunately, I opened the hood and when checking for a loose ignition wire on the cap, I found the cap itself was loose.

thanks everyone for there ideas it was the carb full of gunk cleaned it shot it with carb cleaner and its not shakeing or dyeing......glad to have some where to go to get help on our cars...and again thanks for all the ideas a simple fix thank god..........

thanks everyone for there ideas it was the carb full of gunk cleaned it shot it with carb cleaner and its not shakeing or dyeing......glad to have some where to go to get help on our cars...and again thanks for all the ideas a simple fix thank god..........
::goodjob::

I recall that gas formulas are changing blend for summer, I alo read Illinois is required to use more ethanol because it has been identified as a city with heavy polution.

Are you able to get 100 percent gas, (i.e., no ethanol)?

If ther carb had gunk in it then it'd guarantee your filter does too. You should get some gas additive/valve cleaner, not Octane boost, but a gas additive to clean the valves, lines and carb.

The best stuff on the market is made by Redline, SI-1 Valve Cleaner. Put the whole thing in the tank, change your fuel filter and drive it. I'd also put some new/more gas in as soon you can, some high octane Chevron or 76 is good.

If you don't have access to Redline, the Chevron fuel additive works good and won't taint your spark plugs like a lot of additives will.

Changing your filter is a must though.

Good luck.

If ther carb had gunk in it then it'd guarantee your filter does too. You should get some gas additive/valve cleaner, not Octane boost, but a gas additive to clean the valves, lines and carb.

The best stuff on the market is made by Redline, SI-1 Valve Cleaner. Put the whole thing in the tank, change your fuel filter and drive it. I'd also put some new/more gas in as soon you can, some high octane Chevron or 76 is good.

If you don't have access to Redline, the Chevron fuel additive works good and won't taint your spark plugs like a lot of additives will.

Changing your filter is a must though.

Good luck.
{thumbs up} Yup..If the carb is full of crap...Your fuel filters is toasty..And good sign you got a bunch of crap in your tank...Im suprized it didnt plug your fuel filter before it got in your carb...mmmmm ..You mite wanna make it has one..Its rare...some folks will put a car back together for sale and just run the gas line strait to the carb without using a fuel filter...lol

Back