car show pics from oz

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 mustang grande
hi guys went to a car show in Australia just last weekend took some pics not many 71-73 models but still some nice cars!, some have been converted to right hand drive others are still left hand drive as Australian rules allow this.DSC01418.JPGDSC01381.JPGDSC01484.JPGDSC01461.JPGDSC01457.JPGDSC01491.JPGDSC01442.JPG

i did not take mine as the show was 1000km from my home town, so i got a flight down for the day instead had a great day and finally got to see a 67 Eleanor in the flesh (3 in fact lol) pic below sorry its not a 71-73!!!!!!DSC01422.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking stangs! I like the Blue 73 Convertible and it's wheels. Looks like you found several 71/73's, the last Mustang show I went to there were only two inlcuding mine.

man those are some nice cars thanks for sharing i love the 71-73 mustangs BUT that 67 does catch my eye

this was in the car park when i first pulled up so i took a pic and the blue fastback was from a show i went to last fathers day hope you like the picsDSC01357.JPGDSC00294.JPG

while you are all loving the pics check out our GT ford falcons ( look like anything? lol)DSCF0174.JPGDSCF0214.JPG

this was or muscle cars in the 1973-74 era do you think ford Australia looked at your 71-73 mustangs before they built them?? lol

I wonder if it would be possible to fit that GT Falcon grille to our Mustangs...?;)

I like the Charger like "pillar" in the center of it.

Great pics! Lots of beautiful cars!

while you are all loving the pics check out our GT ford falcons ( look like anything? lol)

this was or muscle cars in the 1973-74 era do you think ford Australia looked at your 71-73 mustangs before they built them?? lol
Hey Fangstang, don't be showing me pictures of XB Coupe's; it makes me sad!! I had a reasonably decent XB GS Fairmont coupe and sold it about ten years ago for $2200 and began regretting it six months later and to this very day :(

Thought I'd buy another one one day but then the prices went absolutely through the roof - I actually paid less for my rust free 72 Mustang than I would be able to get a dodgy XB for. I suppose I should look on the bright side though, as if I still had the XB I would not have a Mustang right now.

xbcoupe1.jpg

while you are all loving the pics check out our GT ford falcons ( look like anything? lol)

Hey Fangstang, don't be showing me pictures of XB Coupe's; it makes me sad!! I had a reasonably decent XB GS Fairmont coupe and sold it about ten years ago for $2200 and began regretting it six months later and to this very day :(

Thought I'd buy another one one day but then the prices went absolutely through the roof - I actually paid less for my rust free 72 Mustang than I would be able to get a dodgy XB for. I suppose I should look on the bright side though, as if I still had the XB I would not have a Mustang right now.

xbcoupe1.jpg
LOL i know what you mean my first car was a GS XA hardtop and i also cant understand the prices lately (just wait until the MAD MAX 4 movie is released soon the prices will go even higher as they are using the xa-xc coupes again to make the movie.

I really enjoyed the car show pictures. I didn't know there was so much interest over in OZ.

I was wondering about the steering wheel on the right side. Does that mean you use the left foot for the gas?

How much does it cost for a gallon of gas?
Pedal sequence in RHD cars is the same as in LHD - left clutch, middle brake, right accelerator. Indicator lever is on the opposite side of the steering column though.

Gas (petrol) is about AU$1.50 per litre here at the moment, so that works out to be approx US$5.70 per US gallon.

The interest in Australia for US cars has really taken off in the past ten years since they allowed cars 30 years and older to stay left hand drive, and especially so of late as the AU dollar has climbed in the past few years from being worth half a US dollar to now being worth more than the US dollar, so even adding $2500 shipping on to the cost of the car it is an extremely cheap way to get a car on the road here that stands out from the crowd (I often wonder what US car enthusiasts thinks about their local muscle being shipped off forever to strange countries).

With Australia being of similar size to the USA, Ford and Holden (Chev) here from the 1960's onwards tended to follow the US model of building decent size cars with decent size engine choices for family comfort in travelling long distances and also for towing capacity, so US vehicles are really kind of second nature to us. For instance, the 1975 Falcon XB Coupe I had here had virtually the same suspension and running gear as a 71 Mustang, though it was a little bit different that it came out with a 302 Cleveland (a non-existent animal in the US) which I eventually had stroked during an engine rebuild by getting a 351 crank dropped in.

Mustangs are of course one of the favorite cars to import - the last concourse in Melbourne in the state of Victoria alone had over 400 Mustangs turn up throughout the day!

More photo's of the 2011 Australian Mustang Nationals can be found here:

http://mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=14271

LOL i know what you mean my first car was a GS XA hardtop and i also cant understand the prices lately (just wait until the MAD MAX 4 movie is released soon the prices will go even higher as they are using the xa-xc coupes again to make the movie.
I'd always been drawn towards the XB coupes because of the Mustangy like front, but those XA hardtops were the toughest looking of the XA-XC hardtop breed. In fact if it came to a choice now between and XA or an XB I reckon I'd pick the XA hands down!!

If they destroy any coupes in the new Mad Max movie there'll be hell to pay I tells ya!

P1040059.JPG

It's amazing how many American muscle cars are around the world. I went to Japan for the Yokohama show and couldn't believe all the Muscle cars, ratrods and Harleys out there. Judging by the pics, you guys sure love the American classics. Always wondered why Oz gets models we don't get like the Falcon XB, XC and even the new Ute's

XC Cobras??? Unreal!

b69dug.jpg

xbcoupe1.jpg
Do you think Eric Bana has something to do with the increasing price and popularity of these cars?

Do you think Eric Bana has something to do with the increasing price and popularity of these cars?

i don't really think he has made a difference! ,mad max is still the most famous movie for Aussie cars in Australia ,not that many know about Bana and his beast!.

Ive always had a love for American muscle and when i was a kid mustangs were out of reach so i got a xa hard top and a 1969 ford capri (mini mustang),it took years before i finally got a mustang and know i cant live with out them (even lost one in a divorce RIP!), But that never stopped me lol

It's amazing how many American muscle cars are around the world. I went to Japan for the Yokohama show and couldn't believe all the Muscle cars, ratrods and Harleys out there. Judging by the pics, you guys sure love the American classics. Always wondered why Oz gets models we don't get like the Falcon XB, XC and even the new Ute's

XC Cobras??? Unreal!

b69dug.jpg

Hey, thanks for posting that pic of the Cobra's - only 400 of them made and it looks like a good swag of that number turned up for the photo shoot!

I don't think Eric Bana had any effect on the prices as the value of the coupes skyrocketed a few years before his Love the Beast film came out. There were only ever about twenty thousand of these coupes made, so I think it's just a case of motor enthusiasts here realising what a unique body style the car is and that a good percentage of the 20,000 cars probably no longer exists. And really, if someone here decides they want a piece of the Aussie coupe muscle car history from the 60's and 70's there is hardly any choices - a few different models Ford Falcon's, Holden Monaro's, Holden Torana's and Valiant (Chrysler) Charger's are all we've got to chose from, and all of these cars are pulling good money now.

I'm guessing the reason the US didn't get our Falcon's is you guys were already spoiled for choice with the range of brands and models and I doubt the local Ford factory thought there would be a business case to engineer a LHD vehicle and pay to ship it stateside against so much competition.

You guy's might get a ute yet; I read recently were there is a reasonable chance Holden will be exporting their 2014 ute to North America under the Chevy badge as a new El Camino. I've got a '99 AU Falcon ute and it's the handiest car I've ever owned!

AUute.jpg

Hi Flatback

where are you

Im in Brisbane

thanks John

Back