Carb ID

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Sprint Sportsroof
I removed the carb from the: March of 1972, 351c 4v, CJ. Unfortunately someone along the line removed the tag. I need to order a rebuild kit but truthfully not sure what to order. I can't really find any numbers other than Motorcraft and a #12 and 11. Any idea ? I appreciate the help ( I figured we'll just rebuild it now and put in a new fuel pump, so I dont keep fighting this fuel issue) Thank you !

30k3s7d.jpg

se605h.jpg

3bxtw.jpg

29c2y5w.jpg

faby20.jpg

2iufeq.jpg

It looks like it should be a D2ZF AA if it is a 4 speed or a D2ZFBB if it is an automatic. See if this spec sheet helps. I have been able to get carb rebuild kits for mine at my local Carquest auto parts.

72 4300 D specs.pdf

Attachments

• 72 4300 D specs.pdf
    473.2 KB · Views: 27
It looks like my 4300 (autolite, but motorcraft is the same thing). When you rebuild it make sure the bowl isn't warped. The 4300 is famous for having a warped bowl which results in fuel leaks from the front of the carb.

Last edited by a moderator:
its a 4300D i think..which is same carb i got on my 351 4v...thats the same carb on the boss pretty much..there all 715 cfm i beleive..you can tell its a 4300D cause of the spread bore....great design...kinda like a old pontiac quadjet....good gas mileage long as you keep your foot out of it..and when you do put it in..it will let go with the gas..lol...too bad the tab is gone... those carbs are bringing big bucks! specialy if the tab is still there.

The number should be stamped on the left front corner under the dashpot bracket.

Back