Carb question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justford

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1 429 CJ non ram air, 4 speed, air,tilt, and 35k miles. Pewter Gray with vermilion interior.
I am seeking input from those of you that have replaced your stock cab with a different brand. My car is a 71 C code 4 speed. The info I need is what brand, size, part number, how satisfied you are with it, and how easy it was to install. Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I pulled the Autolite 2150 off my 351C-2V in favor of a 4V set-up. That involved a new 4bbl intake manifold along with the 4bbl carb itself. I'm a big Edelbrock fan, so I went with an Edelbrock Performer intake and an Edelbrock 1406 4bbl Performer Series carb w/automatic choke (600cfm). You would probably want a 1407 (750cfm) depending on how strong your engine runs/how much performance you want out of it. You could get away with a 1406, but there wouldn't be a lot of room for greater performance tuning (as in, a thirstier engine).

Since I [re]built my engine from scratch, it was just part of the deal for me. But you'd probably not need a new intake, since I'm sure your 429's intake is a 4bbl. ;)

It should literally be as simple as pulling your old carb off, dropping the new one on, and connecting everything back up - the factory throttle cable should fit right on with the right hardware (included with the carb) - mine did: snapped right onto the ball fitting that came with the carb.

There are probably some tuning things some of the more knowledgeable guys will hopefully chime in with, but I can't think of anything that is really far outside of that.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the info. I am wanting a simple swap with little or no changes. I too like Edelbrock carbs and looked at a 1411 but wanted some input before proceeding. Thanks Eric for your reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
My pleasure.

But you would be correct with the 1411, rather than the 1407 (they're the same carb, but the 1411 has the electric choke and the 1407 having the manual choke - which I'm sure you already knew ;) ). I wasn't that familiar with the model numbers - I just knew the 750cfm would probably be too much for my Cleveland so I focused on the 1406 being right for me, which I'm replacing with an Edelbrock E-Street TBI system anyway (after I actually get the engine broken in).

I'm definitely not sure if the factory intake manifold is spread bore or square bore, or if that even makes a difference in this case or not - but there might be a need for an adapter plate if so. Hopefully, one of the other [smarter than me] 429 guys will chime in on this. :D

justford, if your C code is still in it's original configuration and not a Drag Pack optioned car, it should have a Quadrajet carburetor. That carb has a non Holly/Ford bolt pattern which means it also has a unique intake manifold. I believe that intake also houses a GM style choke heat stove. You could find an adapter so you could mount the carb of your choice. I believe Holly makes a spread bore Quadrajet replacement, but other carb manufactures may also offer the same option. Some of my Chevelle SS friends did the Holly replacement on their big blocks. Another option would be to find a intake that has the Ford pattern. What three of my C code Torino friends did (who where tired of taking crap from the Chevy guys about the "GM" carburetor on their 429's), was to buy Edelbrock intakes and 780 Holly's like the SCJ's ran. My CJ 429 had 72 Police Interceptor heads and intake and ran a 4300D, so I have no Holly or Edelbrock carb experience to relay . So Eric's carb suggestions would be a better choice for you to consider.

I really don't want to change the intake. Yes my car is stock with the Quadrajet. Looks like a adapter will be needed. Thanks for th info.

Mine already had it when I bought it, but its a 4BRL Edlebrock 650CFM with electric choke. Love it!

So your 650 works well with the 429?? That is good to know. Thanks

I have a 1411 that works great on a warmed up 302. I'm running a 1406 on my 351 in my fastback and it works great as well. Both are excellent carbs, custom tuning makes a big difference with these to get the most out of them.

Which of the carbs listed above would be a direct bolt on to my stock intake? If none is the answer, is a spacer available for the installation?

I just recently swapped out the factory spread bore carb 4300D ?? for an Edelbrock 1405. The car stranded me countless times prior to the new carb being installed.

I had to get the Trans Adapt spread bore adapter (#2199) so the carb venturis would match up with the intake. THE EDELBROCK SPREAD BORE ADAPTER DOES NOT WORK WITH THE FORD SPREAD BORE INTAKE !!! Lets just say I could have saved some $$ if I had known that.

I can finally drive and enjoy the car. I fabbed a throttle cable (extension) bracket to move the bracket right about 1.5". I also made my own C6 kickdown linkage extension to adapt to the Ford linkage on the carb. Fabbed those brackets from aluminum stock from home depot.

You won't need the tranny linkage since you have a 4 speed.

The PCV goes to the front of the carb now, so I removed the original hose and got a 1/2" 90 degree elbow, a 1/2 to 3/8" hose adapter, and ran the pcv to the front of the carb (as recommended by Edelbrock). The PCV is 1/2" and the fitting at the front of the carb is 3/8".

Other than setting the idle mixture screws and adjusting the kickdown linkage, I haven't had to mess with the carb itself, and it runs awesome.

Oh - there are three different fuel inlet types available for the Edelbrocks. The one that comes with he carb just sticks straight out from the side of he carb. Then, there's a banjo fitting #8089 which will redirect your fuel line straight down or towards the back, or #8126 which is a hard line which runs down then straight out to the left front of the carb. So - i didn't think he original fitting would have worked with the stock air cleaner, so I ordered the banjo fitting but that didn't work because it hits the manual choke bracket, sooooo - I ended up with the fixed line coming out the front.

I didn't want to cut my rigid fuel line, so that crowds things a little, since you have o fit an in-line filter in those few inches between the fuel line and the fuel inlet.

Watch Ebay. I got my carb off there for $200, (incl shipping). It also included the Ford transmission linkage - another $26 if new.

The carb was virtually brand new. There are lots of Edelbrock carbs on there - some new/almost new - some reconditioned, and some looking well used.

Hope this helps.

Unlike the Autolite 4300A/D, there are many people who know how to not just rebuild but optimize Quadrajets. There may be someone near you that could make your Quadrajet work the way you want it to. Just an idea. Chuck

I just recently swapped out the factory spread bore carb 4300D ?? for an Edelbrock 1405. The car stranded me countless times prior to the new carb being installed.

I had to get the Trans Adapt spread bore adapter (#2199) so the carb venturis would match up with the intake. THE EDELBROCK SPREAD BORE ADAPTER DOES NOT WORK WITH THE FORD SPREAD BORE INTAKE !!! Lets just say I could have saved some $$ if I had known that.

I can finally drive and enjoy the car. I fabbed a throttle cable (extension) bracket to move the bracket right about 1.5". I also made my own C6 kickdown linkage extension to adapt to the Ford linkage on the carb. Fabbed those brackets from aluminum stock from home depot.

You won't need the tranny linkage since you have a 4 speed.

The PCV goes to the front of the carb now, so I removed the original hose and got a 1/2" 90 degree elbow, a 1/2 to 3/8" hose adapter, and ran the pcv to the front of the carb (as recommended by Edelbrock). The PCV is 1/2" and the fitting at the front of the carb is 3/8".

Other than setting the idle mixture screws and adjusting the kickdown linkage, I haven't had to mess with the carb itself, and it runs awesome.

Oh - there are three different fuel inlet types available for the Edelbrocks. The one that comes with he carb just sticks straight out from the side of he carb. Then, there's a banjo fitting #8089 which will redirect your fuel line straight down or towards the back, or #8126 which is a hard line which runs down then straight out to the left front of the carb. So - i didn't think he original fitting would have worked with the stock air cleaner, so I ordered the banjo fitting but that didn't work because it hits the manual choke bracket, sooooo - I ended up with the fixed line coming out the front.

I didn't want to cut my rigid fuel line, so that crowds things a little, since you have o fit an in-line filter in those few inches between the fuel line and the fuel inlet.

Watch Ebay. I got my carb off there for $200, (incl shipping). It also included the Ford transmission linkage - another $26 if new.

The carb was virtually brand new. There are lots of Edelbrock carbs on there - some new/almost new - some reconditioned, and some looking well used.

Hope this helps.
Good info I appreciate it.

Thanks

Back