Center Dash Bezel- Woodgrain Decal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
20150618_143138.jpg

I cannot say where, but I have them in my possession. I am interested to see how many people are in need of these. Also, what if you just had the pattern, so you could cut your own from a piece from a sheet of 3M di noc you could purchase on the net yourself. Think about it, you could do any woodgrain you want or any other available pattern...the possibilities are endless...does the carbon fiber look interest any of you...? If you had the pattern, it would be so much easier. (easier gets it done!)

I had contemplated these options also, while reconstructing my interior. I can err a little to the persistent/ocd side of the line so I searched the world over and finally found them and got these delivered to my doorstep!!!

Add a comment and let me know if you are interested.

Eric

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought new interior plastic pieces, and immediately removed the wood grain from mine, hoping to use it as a template, but it distorted, so it really wasn't much use after all. Having a pattern would've helped, as I got a small pucker or two immediately under the gauges, but the radio bezel hides most of them.

Yes - 3M Di-Noc. I went with black carbon fiber on mine.

attachment.php

attachment.php

To me, wood grain is for Country Squire station wagons. rofl

1972_ford_country_squire_wagon.jpg

Let us know how that works out. I tried some years ago with no success. Maybe these will work well. Chuck

I am not normally a 'fake carbon fiber' fan but this intrigues me. I have been looking for a replacement for the door panels. I like the look and tied in with the center console it's a home run. Do you have more pics of the overall look?

I am not normally a 'fake carbon fiber' fan but this intrigues me. I have been looking for a replacement for the door panels. I like the look and tied in with the center console it's a home run. Do you have more pics of the overall look?
I'll have to get some better pics. These were taken with my cell phone's 3.2MP camera - that's why they're so grainy.

http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/

Here's the website I bought from - check out their gallery. Some of the interior shots are pretty up-close (like with the Acura NS-X) They wrapped some cars (completely) with it. The stuff I used is textured... so, it's not the super glossy resin-finished traditional carbon fiber finish, but it looks really cool. They also have a "glossy" carbon fiber finish as well.

Hope that helps.

I would love the woodgrain or template. I have gauges without A/C.

I have not been able to find it without buying the whole plastic piece for about $230.
MustangMyWay, if there's enough interest, I was thinking I could take them to a print shop and have them patterned/copied (1:1, of course)onto some thick pattern paper. Maybe they could cut them (cost) or I'd them ship them and the end user (you) could carefully cut them out with an exacto knife. Atleast then you'd have a pattern to trace with a sharpie. The sharpie line would be cut off the final material since it would be outside the actual size. A metal pattern, which you could actually use as a cut guide/pattern would be the best but is probably cost prohibitive to have made. Unless....we had 10 guys or so who'd chip in...then we could share it!!! Hmmmm...? This is why I'm trying to see if there's any interest...

Eric

Too late...

I treid this a year ago and ended up buying a whole new bezel from Don. Not bad because they are one of the few repopped parts that are outstanding quality and almost not different than the originals.

I tried with a template that I made from my original bezel and wasted hours for nothing. With an exacto-knife it is impossible to work out a satisfying result.

We need a ready cut decal!

Too late...

I treid this a year ago and ended up buying a whole new bezel from Don. Not bad because they are one of the few repopped parts that are outstanding quality and almost not different than the originals.

I tried with a template that I made from my original bezel and wasted hours for nothing. With an exacto-knife it is impossible to work out a satisfying result.

We need a ready cut decal!
Tim,

I also have a new center dash bezel w/ the woodgrain that I purchased from Don. I now have these two decals that I acquired, through many hours of digging on the net. My intent of this post is to help those who are considering reconditioning their existing bezel, whether for reasons of budget or maybe they just want to do it themselves. You (Tim) and Eric (Mister 4X4) as well as myself have attempted or at least contemplated going this route ourselves. Eric's carbon fiber 3M Di-Noc vinyl turned out well, without a template, (mostly) but would have been easier if he had a template. I chose to buy a new bezel, even though I was able to find/acquire the actual decals for both of the bezel types. (with and without gauges) because there is no way to duplicate the chrome accent striping. I also purchased the shifter bezel from Don, which has the matching chrome striping and therefore the center bezel wouldn't look right, no matter how well the replacement decal looked. Oh...and now that the center and shifter bezel looked so good the right and left dash bezels didn't look so good anymore. (another call to Don!)

Soooo....if there was enough interest in making a template or purchasing a quantity of these decals (they're not really for sale but I could make it happen) I would consider helping. If not, then you are all back in the same position you are in now. I know I wanted the option. Groups can sometimes get things done that individuals cannot. 7173 could do things like this,(as a group-to lower cost) if we worked together, it's not that hard to do. I was/am just offering to take the lead and get it done.

Eric

If you were to have a full-size template made out of card stock or something similar just a little bit thicker than standard paper should be fine), sign me up. I'd have no problem pulling the CF vinyl off and redoing mine. The only reason mine puckered is because I didn't use any heat, and was working the CF onto the piece as a one-and-done kind of a deal, since it was the night before the night before the car show, and I was in a hurry.

I have the original bezel from my car, which I didn't use because the posts on the backside the A/C vent/map pocket screws into were broken off. Making a template using that piece wouldn't be a big deal at all... since I don't really care if the Xacto knife slices it up. It's just a whole lot less hassle if it's already done. ;)

I have the factory woodgrain with gauges, but how would I know what type of woodgrain? (assuming it is OEM).

See, I'm interested as mine is a little worn on the upper corners.

3M has a very wide range of woodgrain Di-Noc. We have a sample book at work and I have actually used it to match woodstain.

The best way to use these pieces is to try to make a cad file using them. It would take some work and effort, probably much adjustment of the file and test fits. Once the file is set up, ANY sign shop/vinyl cutter could cut the Di-Noc. If these pieces are Ford OEM, I would not guarantee any pieces made from them to fit the repro bezels.

3M has a very wide range of woodgrain Di-Noc. We have a sample book at work and I have actually used it to match woodstain.

The best way to use these pieces is to try to make a cad file using them. It would take some work and effort, probably much adjustment of the file and test fits. Once the file is set up, ANY sign shop/vinyl cutter could cut the Di-Noc. If these pieces are Ford OEM, I would not guarantee any pieces made from them to fit the repro bezels.
...they will definitely fit the repro bezels.

Eric

I have the factory woodgrain with gauges, but how would I know what type of woodgrain? (assuming it is OEM).

See, I'm interested as mine is a little worn on the upper corners.
Original factory is Dark Walnut. For a perfect match you would recover your door inserts, at the same time. You'd need a 2' piece of a 3' wide roll 3M Di-Noc, (to do the door inserts and the center bezel) The grain runs lengthwise on the roll. You'd end up with a 1'± x 2' remnant.

Eric

Anyone ever consider Hydro Dipping the Bezel? I found a guy in Iowa here who does it. I spoke with him on the phone and explained about the chrome edges. He said it was no problem. They apply a release agent on that part so it doesn't stick. They have about every pattern known to man. Thoughts on this? The guys website is www.SwansonHydroGraphics.com

They will even dip your engine block and transmission (weird).

Back