cheap rear leafs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tithompson

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convert
Has anyone used any leafs springs from newer vehicles? Might be cheaper and easier to get than new. I know guys are using explorer rear axles would explorer leafs work? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
tithompson,

Don C recommended the same spring vendors I would have said. According to performance handling information that I have read, the leaf springs are designed to hold up the auto. It is recommended to replace the leaf with the same rate. Here is what is requested from Eaton Detroit Springs;

Have this information at the ready and you could potentially order brand new, custom fitting springs for your vehicle in mere minutes.

Year

Make

Model

Body Style

Engine Size

Transmission Type

Air Conditioned or not

Any Modifications made to the vehicle

Standard or Heavy-Duty Suspension

And if you want stock height or modified

Here is what Eaton Detroit recommends for 1973 Mustang Convertible with a 302 Engine. Take a look at the spring rates for standard and handling. It makes a difference.

e8riix.jpg

I have a good friend of mine who bought some rear leaf springs, not sure from where, the convertible sits up higher than he likes and he says it is a bit rough, bouncy riding down the road.

mustang7173 :D

Last edited by a moderator:
While this does not really respond to the question you asked, I would like to say that any used springs you acquire probably will not have the correct spring rate (as advertised) because they are used.

As a couple of the responders have noted, new rear leaf springs are relatively cheap.

BT

I checked the Eaton site and the spring rates for the Boss are 152-1/2, The Mach 1 springs in 71 and 72 are 138 and for 73 Mach 1 114. The 73 has the softest rate.

Just remember you get what you pay for.I went the cheap route on springs and was sorely let down,sold them and went with eaton,much happier.
What Eatons did you get?

If the eye to eye dimension matched, along with the pin location, the rate would be way too stiff in explorer leafs for a mustang. An Explorer weighs over 4,000 lbs for a 4dr, and, has more weight over the rear than a mustang. A common swap for explorer leafs is to use them in a Ranger or Bronco II for about 1.5" of lifter over stock, because of the stiffer rate.

Get Mustang springs.

Back