Check out how much this car sold for at Mecum Kissimmee!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0122-486568/1971-ford-mustang-mach-1-fastback/
That car is green/green (not my favorite colors), NO A/C, STANDARD interior, the tapestripe was added, and it has NO RAM AIR OR HOOD LOCKS. Heck, it doesn't even have tach and gauges! And no mention of matching numbers drivetrain so you can assume it ain't. $66,000 DOLLARS! That's Boss 351 money! I guess that bodes well for when I sell my Dark Green/Green, 1971 M code, 351 4V/4 speed convertible loaded out with almost every option available and ALL NUMBERS MATCHING "BORN WITH" FACTORY DRIVETRAIN! Knowing there are people that will pay that much for a car that color, it makes me kinda sad (NOT!) that I'm painting my Dark Green 71 429 CJ Mach I (the one shown below) Bright Lime Green, lol!

Attachments

• IMG-2521.jpg
    IMG-2521.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG-8333.jpg
    IMG-8333.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG-1653.jpeg
    IMG-1653.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG-1654.jpeg
    IMG-1654.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG-1966.JPG
    IMG-1966.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG-2129.mov
    7.5 MB
  • IMG-8334.jpg
    IMG-8334.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Hey, Geoff. I don't think you understood my post. The green Mach I that sold for $66K was an M code, 351C 4V, 4 speed, fold-down, but no other options. Standard interior, no A/C, no PW, etc. The 429 car is mine that I hope to sell at auction so I can get big bucks like the guy who sold that green M code Mach I at Mecum. The green M code 4 spd convertible I posted above is mine too, but I posted it in comparison to the Mach I as far as options, etc. The convertible is being restored. I have the born with matching numbers drivetrain done. The point I was trying to make was that I love everything about the green convertible except for the dark green color and the green interior. I've been tempted to change the color on the convertible like I did on my green C code 429CJ Mach I to Bright Lime, but the fact that someone out there showed some real love for a dark green relatively low optioned green Mach I at Mecum by paying $66K gives me hope I can go back original with the vert and still get my money back out of it!

Last edited:
Hey, Geoff. I don't think you understood my post. The green Mach I that sold for $66K was an M code, 351C 4V, 4 speed, fold-down, but no other options. Standard interior, no A/C, no PW, etc. The 429 car is mine that I hope to sell at auction so I can get big bucks like the guy who sold that green M code Mach I at Mecum. The green M code 4 spd convertible I posted above is mine too, but I posted it in comparison to the Mach I as far as options, etc. The convertible is being restored. I have the born with matching numbers drivetrain done. The point I was trying to make was that I love everything about the green convertible except for the dark green color and the green interior. I've been tempted to change the color on the convertible like I did on my green C code 429CJ Mach I to Bright Lime, but the fact that someone out there showed some real love for a dark green relatively low optioned green Mach I at Mecum by paying $66K gives me hope I can go back original with the vert and still get my money back out of it!
Ah, I get it now, thanks for the clarification.
66K for a dark green, not my favorite either, Mach 1 that is somewhat similar to mine, a pretty much basic "Plain Jane", is making me think more about selling my car..... or not. A friend has a 71 429 J code 4 speed I'd love to buy, but he too knows it's (potential) value. I'd need all of 60k just to consider it.

I watched that Mach go across the floor and I thought it showed very well on TV. I like the exterior color. I hope our years keep going up in value....rising tide usually lifts all ships :)

Boy there is a lot wrong with it and I’m pretty new to these cars. Dash isn’t right and I don’t think that steering wheel is correct either.
My car is Ivy Glow with green Mach 1 interior and I do like the green but this car is why I’m changing the interior to black. This car has ten different shades green and looks horrible. If you get it right it looks great but get it wrong like this one and it looks horrible.

Boy there is a lot wrong with it and I’m pretty new to these cars. Dash isn’t right and I don’t think that steering wheel is correct either.
My car is Ivy Glow with green Mach 1 interior and I do like the green but this car is why I’m changing the interior to black. This car has ten different shades green and looks horrible. If you get it right it looks great but get it wrong like this one and it looks horrible.

That is the 71 only base steering wheel in a base interior. Other than the color variations, that's how it's supposed to look.

That is the 71 only base steering wheel in a base interior. Other than the color variations, that's how it's supposed to look.
Yeah you’re right I forgot how the base interior got a black or charcoal metallic dash and the Mach 1 got the the color matched dash. It looks like the center section of the dash is green is that correct for a standard interior.
Do you think SEM’s charcoal metallic is correct? It seems to gray to me.
Thanks

Yeah you’re right I forgot how the base interior got a black or charcoal metallic dash and the Mach 1 got the the color matched dash. It looks like the center section of the dash is green is that correct for a standard interior.
Do you think SEM’s charcoal metallic is correct? It seems to gray to me.
Thanks

The color matching center stack is correct for cars with blue, green and ginger interiors. Black, white and vermillion standard interiors had all black dashes.

I haven't personally used any black interior paint in the last twenty years, all my cars seem to be blue interiors. NPD has their own charcoal black paint that I've heard good reviews on.

That car is green/green (not my favorite colors), NO A/C, STANDARD interior, the tapestripe was added, and it has NO RAM AIR OR HOOD LOCKS. Heck, it doesn't even have tach and gauges! And no mention of matching numbers drivetrain so you can assume it ain't. $66,000 DOLLARS! That's Boss 351 money! I guess that bodes well for when I sell my Dark Green/Green, 1971 M code, 351 4V/4 speed convertible loaded out with almost every option available and ALL NUMBERS MATCHING "BORN WITH" FACTORY DRIVETRAIN! Knowing there are people that will pay that much for a car that color, it makes me kinda sad (NOT!) that I'm painting my Dark Green 71 429 CJ Mach I (the one shown below) Bright Lime Green, lol!
Kevin: So, you now have a 1971 C Code 429 CJ in Bright Lime? Would love to see that car when done. Bright Lime the best of the best colors!

I watched that Mach go across the floor and I thought it showed very well on TV. I like the exterior color. I hope our years keep going up in value....rising tide usually lifts all ships :)
I totally agree with the dark green being a nice color. Very popular in the late 60s and early 70s. Think about all the dark green sports cars in dark green, MG, Triumph, Jag XKE, Austin Harley. Still looks good today in my opinion as I see it coming back on new cars and trucks, for like the third time since 1970. Yes the lime green and other brighter greens are more colorful, but they don’t age as well over time, and go in and out of style, but it’s hard to argue with dark green being a timeless classy color. I would prefer a white or black interior with it though. I had a 71 Mach 1 in that color with the black interior and silver stripes on the seats and exterior. Gorgeous car! Also had a 69 427 tripower Corvette for over 20 years that was Fathom green with a saddle interior, and 70 Buick GS in Sherwood green with a Sandalwood interior all essentially the same color as this Mach. No one never thought those cars weren’t pretty, and they always got plenty of compliments everywhere they went. I have seen the ginger interior with this color and it’s also nice , but not quite as pretty as the sandalwood or the saddle and the other two cars. Love the ginger though with all of the yellows and golds, white and black as well.

I found out that to be successful at an auction you need to have at least 2 people who can’t live without owning what’s on the block. So it all depends on who’s present on the day of the auction.

Back