Chrome front bumper

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 dark green
quick question as I am trying to decide what to do while my car is in the shop.  I am leaning toward replacing the color bumper on my Mach1 with a chrome one, I think it will compliment the new Magnum 500's and I like a little chrome.  Is it an easy swap or is the current flex bumper mounted different?

hello jscott,

You can install a chrome front bumper in place of your 71-72 urethane bumper. Both bumpers used the same bumper arms and front bumper reinforcement. The only thing you may have to add is the bumper to fender filler pieces since the chrome bumper is not as wide on the ends as the urethane version. Just a Matter of preference as I have seen some without the fillers and there is just a larger gap between the bumper and fender. And it also goes without saying.....save the urethane bumper as they are worth their weight in gold! 

http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=2087   :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I was all set to order a set of front and back bumpers but now I think I will hold off until I get the car back. I will PULL off the current BUMPER and see what I can do to fix the paint, I cm always go chrome if needed.

read the posts in this thread. Chuck  https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-urethane-front-bumper--35314?highlight=bumper

I went chrome on mine sine my painter couldn't figure out how to make the primer stick to the urethane bumper (I'll repaint and reinstall it someday).

I actually like the look, if even just a little better since it ties in the the chrome rims, hood locks, rear bumper, window trim and other bright pieces.  Chrome was King back in the day, and I'm a little more old school when it comes to muscle cars of the era.

IMG_0600-1.jpg

I went ahead and bought both a front and rear after realizing painting the existing bumper will be a challenge. Also the wife saying she would pay for them was an incentive as well. Like above one day I will work on the OE bumper and see where it goes.

I went chrome on mine sine my painter couldn't figure out how to make the primer stick to the urethane bumper (I'll repaint and reinstall it someday).

I actually like the look, if even just a little better since it ties in the the chrome rims, hood locks, rear bumper, window trim and other bright pieces.  Chrome was King back in the day, and I'm a little more old school when it comes to muscle cars of the era.

IMG_0600-1.jpg

I think the Chrome suits yours more, having symmetry with the rear . It's gorgeous

IMG_0600-1.jpg
WHAT COLOR IS THE WHITE? iS THAT WIMBELDON WHITE?  I like it!!

IMG_0600-1.jpg
WHAT COLOR IS THE WHITE? iS THAT WIMBELDON WHITE?  I like it!!
That car is metallic silver or silver metallic

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

The color is Ford Light Pewter Metallic - the factory color it came with (paint code "V" on the door tag).

The color is Ford Light Pewter Metallic - the factory color it came with (paint code "V" on the door tag).
Thank you for the info..............no matter what it is? its very nice. I'll have to look at that color when I have my 71 painted.

...and underneath that beautiful Light Pewter Metallic is the worlds most severe raging, rot, corrosion and perished parts  ::tease:: the paint's so good it holds it all together   :p

...and underneath that beautiful Light Pewter Metallic is the worlds most severe raging, rot, corrosion and perished parts  ::tease:: the paint's so good it holds it all together   :p
rofl

Back