Cigarette Lighter does not work with USB chargers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Either the post on the end isn't making contact with the positive terminal at the end of the lighter socket or they aren't making ground contact. I've had issues with different USB adapters in 12 volt outlets in our motorhome, not making contact due to the depth of the sockets.

Either the post on the end isn't making contact with the positive terminal at the end of the lighter socket or they aren't making ground contact. I've had issues with different USB adapters in 12 volt outlets in our motorhome, not making contact due to the depth of the sockets.
+1 here. You have to make sure the center contact in the socket is clean. I had the same issue with mine. I went with a flat blade screw driver and carefully scraped the center contact. It gets dirty/corroded over the years. Obviously, don't do this with the power connected to it so either disconnect the battery or the fuse.

I have found that there are two fractionally different sizes. Old cigarette lighters appear to be a different size to the modern 12v outlet. I have found, while working in a car yard that most accessories can be adapted to fit the old style lighter. 

Back