Classic Auto Air Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 M code Mach 1, 4 speed, Grabber Blue.
To those that have installed Classic Auto Air, did you end up removing the factory blower motor?  I know it's not needed, since the Classic Auto Air has it's own blower.  Just wondering if the factory blower needs to be removed for space, or if it's just left in place.

Thank you

If I recall correctly, the blower motor is mounted on the heater box assembly, so it comes out anyway. Even if it were mounted independently, I can't see a need to keep it. 

Are you talking about a heater-only car? I don't know about one with factory AC, but I'm sure the heater-only cars had the blower motor mounted to the box. I assumed (perhaps wrongly?) you were adding air to a non-AC car.

In my case, I did have factory AC.  I just went ahead and removed it all.  Motor, housing, etc.  Based on the instructions it appears the stock defrost vent is just about the only thing retained from the stock system.

I just finished my AC in my Vert - Ice Cold. I didn't replace anything under the dash (Except the blower motor because it was noisy). I just replaced the items under the hood and retained the factory under-dash gear - but my car was factory AC. I'm guessing you bought the full kit? 

AC.jpg

Attachments

• AC.jpg
    AC.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 4
Mezell, Ii will be doing the same thing when I get my kit in, did the installation go smooth?  After install did you have a shop vacuum and charge the system or did you do it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure who you were asking, but I bought the CAA full conversion for a heater-only car. It works very well, it keeps a black on black car pretty cool inside.

I did it myself. The only original part is the evaporator. They tell me they are better quality than anything modern if you can reuse yours. That came from the CAA techs. Years back I started playing with AC (Compressor changes, Flushes, etc). This was my first full system. Pretty smooth however: I live in the Tampa Area not for from Classic Auto Air. I even drove over there to get parts and talked to the guys. I'm pretty easy going and getting help was difficult. I ended up chasing parts.

Short version, I placed an order from them for pickup and almost a week later they couldn't full it. I cancelled and ordered from NPD (1.5 hours away in Ocala) where it was in stock. Then I decided to replace the condenser and drove over, they were nice enough. I had ordered the liquid line from NPD and they only sent me one part. I drive up on a Saturday to get the second part and realized both ends were male. I spent over an hour trying to figure out how they sell this and it doesn't connect, the NPD guy didn't know either. Ultimately I figured out you also need a $60 quick disconnect valve that has 2 female ends. Nothing in their documentation mentions this and as far as I can tell it doesn't come in the kits. I messaged CAA about this on Monday as well as a couple questions about the amount of R134 and placed a couple calls and never got a reply. I really feel like they should have known since I was working with a senior tech. The no reply was just poor customer service since I also talked to someone on the phone and they gave him a message and they met me in person on the Friday before I did the install. 

Parts wise and functionally I am happy with the quality though. Everything fit fine with the original brackets and pulleys.  My AC is cold. Here's a thing to know, my original air liquid line is 2 pieces. Their reproduction lines are better quality, however it takes 3 pieces, a long line that connects to the evaporator, a short line that connects to the drier and a quick disconnect that connects the lines. About $200 for all 3 parts. 

As far as evacuating the system, I have a good set of gauges, I just rented the vacuum from a local auto parts store for a few days. Its all very low tech. 

My advice, if you do it replace everything under the hood. Don't try to save a buck and re-use anything. The old R12 oils, o-rings and lines wont play well with R134. They expansion valve was $22 from O'Reilly Auto. I just checked, with everything, Tax included I spent just under $1100 doing it myself. I would definitely recommend their kit, but don't rely on good tech support. Anything you really need to know you can find online or ask someone here! Hopefully I wont have to test customer service, but if I do its just a 30 minute drive.  

Good Luck!

Its basically the same thing, except from original air. And I went cheap and then wanted to change more parts costing me more than the $800. Mine was CAA. I had no trouble doing it in a day. Clean your evaporator with that expensive cleaner from any auto parts store and vacuum it for an hour before filling. Weight your refrigerant at whatever they tell you and you will be fine. Let me know if you have questions. 

. Clean your evaporator with that expensive cleaner from any auto parts store and vacuum it for an hour before filling. Weight your refrigerant at whatever they tell you and you will be fine. Let me know if you have questions. 
how did you clean the evaporator while it was in the car, I have seen a video like this

Its not the drain you need to clean, its the inside of the evaporator to remove any oil, metal shavings, etc. 

You can buy this at any local parts store -

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/interdynamics-certified-a-c-pro-power-clean-flush-1.06-lbs.-ca-compliant-ca-1/7010021-p?product_channel=local&store=9511&adtype=pla&product_channel=local&store_code=9511&gclid=CjwKCAjw88v3BRBFEiwApwLevTL6Wu5ll4MzLyZ7L4dwm4O_PssOVEeYvPNP9xWN6sEjq5M_2VSu_xoCtUQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Remove your expansion valve and run this through. It has a rubber nozzle you just press up to it. Catch in a pan and dispose of the waste. Run dry compressed air through to dry it out. I let mine sit overnight open to fully dry. About $17 minus any discounts. Advance has 20% right now. One can and its good to go. Ran a can through my condenser because it looked perfect, but realized there was some corrosion inside and just replaced it. Thats how I ended up doing it in pieces. If I could do it over I would have bought the kit like yours and saved. 

I also looked at the pic of your kit - it looks like they have a one piece liquid line so that's a big savings also. 

I don't suppose anyone knows the correct belt/size I'll need to get the compressor spinning?  I had factory air and am using the original brackets and pulley with the new compressor.  I'm sure I could just use string method to measure, but figured it was easy to ask.

I don't have the information, but would be interested to hear as well, since I've got the same set-up (but not completely installed yet - just the pulleys & belt).

One trick would be to take a piece of string and wrap it around the path to measure, then get the belt that's the closest in size, and adjust the tension from there.

I still can't believe CAA sold me my system thinking that it's better to just add the A/C pulley into the circuit with the power steering pump, rather than just tell me I would need a 3-groove crank pulley, factory idler pulley assembly, and a small adapter bracket that could've been added-in by simply walking across the hall to 'Original Air Group' to get those factory style parts.  Oh well.

As luck would have it, I keep every receipt. I used a Duralast 17550 which is what Autozone showed for the car. Fit perfect. I have the cardboard from around the belt in my hand! That said, that's for use with the idler that attaches to the bracket as my car was factory air. If you are looking for the longer one to use without the idler, I am not sure. 

I agree with you Mister 4x4. As I mentioned my experience was lackluster for sure, however keep in mind that there is a location in TX and FL. FL is original parts, TX is the repro systems, so they have to order from the other one.  While I want happy with the service, the product worked well, I was just on my own to figure it out beyond the provided instructions. 

As luck would have it, I keep every receipt. I used a Duralast 17550 which is what Autozone showed for the car. Fit perfect. I have the cardboard from around the belt in my hand! That said, that's for use with the idler that attaches to the bracket as my car was factory air. If you are looking for the longer one to use without the idler, I am not sure. 

I agree with you Mister 4x4. As I mentioned my experience was lackluster for sure, however keep in mind that there is a location in TX and FL. FL is original parts, TX is the repro systems, so they have to order from the other one.  While I want happy with the service, the product worked well, I was just on my own to figure it out beyond the provided instructions. 
Ok, Duralast 17550 it is!  That saves me the hassle of doing the string thing, thank you!

One other question for you and Mister 4x4, what did the bracket they supplied you look like to allow the Sanden compressor to mount?  Literally the last thing I need to do is mount the compressor, I have the factory bracket and pulley in place.  They supplied me a bracket which mounts to the bottom of the factory bracket to allow the Sanden compressor to mount to it, but nothing more.  Based in pictures I have seen, there appears to be a small adapter bracket which attaches the top of the compressor to the pulley assembly.

Thanks!

Back