Classic Auto Air Review.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hi to all,

I am putting up this fresh review based on my own personal experience with buying and installing a Classic Air Perfect fit system. Most of this review has been covered in a previous thread i participated in. However, i have added a couple of important upgrades that are worth mentioning, and reading. Sorry, it's a long review, but if you own one of these systems in your Mustang,or are thinking of buying one, it's worth it.

In 2012, i purchased a complete Classic Air Perfect Air Elite System for my '73 Mustang Convertible. My car never had factory air installed, so this was to be a complete new setup for aircon. I paid big money to have so called professionals install the system, and i have had nothing but ongoing trouble with the system not working correctly, still to this day. I have forked out hundreds and hundreds of dollars on top of the initial cost of purchase and installation to try and get this system working properly, and i'm still not happy with it.

For starters, the air output force or air velocity in the cabin is pathetic on my system. It's so weak, you have to have the blower speed up to max to get much effect at all. The air volume and force would be half of that of an original '73 Mustang factory system. I have compared the two and speak from experience. The Electronic Water Control Valve was faulty from the start, and i had to pay around $200.00 to get a new replacement shipped out to me in Australia. I used my original heater control panel with this system, and the cabling had to be shortened and modified because as it was, the controls were not controlling the operation or full functions of the air conditioner properly. I had big problems with the compressor not turning off when i chose to try and heat up the car's interior. That problem has now been rectified. Also, every time i go to turn on the cold air, and the compressor kicks in, i experience a big horsepower drain from the motor. This system was promoted as having a low drain on the motor.

As well, i am using the original '73 heater control slider panel as i said before. Who ever designed this system must have been on drugs. Correct me if i'm wrong here, but with modern day basic aircon systems in cars, you simply have a variable temp control, that can be adjusted from cold to hot when using any selection or combination of vents from around the car. ie - dash vents, windscreen vents, floor vents etc. So it does not matter what vents you choose to use, you will have total control of temp with any of these vents. With the Classic Air System,if the vent control lever is in Dash or Def position you only get cold air coming through (compressor on). When the control lever goes to Floor position, you only get hot air coming through. This is a non practical, complicated, not user friendly setup.

In regards the pro installers not getting it right, Yes, there is a small amount of that element with my overall situation i feel possibly. At the end of the day, i can't be 100% sure thought. Believe me, after the system was first installed, and ongoing problems imerged,i sacked the original installers, and then i employed good reputable mechanics and refrigeration men to help fix the problem ridden system. In my case the complete and entire dash was stripped down and removed to install the new system. All my original factory heater system was completely removed to make way for the new Elite system. As things stand at the moment, i still cannot get my system to produce any hot or warm/hot air back to the whole cabin. This will need more money spent to investigate why this is so, and to rectify this problem.

Another important issue that will need rectification,and more money spent on top of everything else, is the compressor mounting angle. This is a Classic Air factory problem. The compressor is sitting out of alighnment, and not level, way too far to the right or driver's side. My pro refrigeration mechanic has advised me that this will present ongoing problems for the compressor, and shorten it's life considerably, because the oil in the compressor cannot circulate properly on this angle. The compressor needs to be readjusted and swung back to the passengers side more to do this. That would mean buying a shorter belt and installing it. What sized belt you would choose, would be a matter of trial and error. The compressor also is making a whining noise, which does not sound good at all. My frigi mechanic thinks that might have something to do with the wrong compressor mounting angle as it stands now. That remains to be seen.

No matter which way you look at it, i believe i got sold a dud product, but just how many other consumers out there around the world that have ended up having problems similar or the same as me, i would only be guessing on, and would not really know. Also, i have not, but want to mention my mechanic and my dealings with phoning and contacting the company to try and rectify some of the problems that occurred. Not all that good in that regard i'm afraid. The tech phone reps were too busy telling both of us what they thought was causing the various troubles, and not listening to what we had to say on the issues. Also, trying to get a warranty claim established was next to impossible, and still is unresolved. Several promises from the company reps to follow up and contact both of us by phone and Email over the issues never happened. All in all, the back up service provided was very poor, and did not help my ongoing situation at all. Believe me, i am not a happy customer at all, and the whole deal has left a real bad taste in my mouth for sure.

To summarize, this system is sold and promoted as a quality, easy to install,easy to use, good performing, unit. My experience has been the opposite, and has given me nothing but trouble from the beginning to now. I would rate this product as being 1 1/2 out of 5 at best. Very disappointed, and would not recommend it.

Thanks for taking the time to have a fresh read of my review.

Greg.

Hi Greg yes it's so sad that the unit you have bought isn't as expected! The fact that the company has not been tested the unit before shipping it too you is werry bad customer support! Why i am saying this for the fact that you live in Australia and the shipping costs are so expensive! That is not acceptable to not have tested the unit! When I was ordering my CHI heads from your country they sent us an email to inform me that one of them was not correct. So they had to make a new one... That's what I call customer support and the fact that i am living so far away from the company! They did the right thing and I am so glad... It doesn't matter what you have bought but it's still need to be tested before shipping... Regards Lars DK73

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Regards DK73

I have the same system, installed it myself and have had very good results.

I suspect that your heat problem comes from a oversight in the installation, in that the heater core is shipped with rubber plugs in both tubes and they need to be removed. The plugs have what looks like a hole in them, but it doesn't go thru and they are the same diameter as the tubes which led me to not initially remove them.

Air flow problems can come from a vent popping off the plenum or the back of any of the vents. Mine are all taped and zip tied into place after having to revisit their mounting. When everything is perfect, the airflow is still a little lower than I would like. at the lower settings.

Compressor mounting on my car required 3 1/4" shims where the bracket mounts to the head. I don't know if I buy compressor angle has anything to do with oiling as the oil is in the refrigerant and under pressure.

Mine has never been loud or made any unusual noise, nor should it pull on your engine as you describe.

I did not have the electronic valve on my heat so I won't comment on that.

Good luck.

Hi Greg,

I added a different system from Classic Air to my 71 conv. which also never had a/c. I went with the Perfect Fit and the mechanical water control valve but I used as much of the factory a/c ducts as I could which really helped the air flow. I did have Classic Air make a custom plenum to attach the corrugated hoses to so I could get the air to the factory ducts. That was the flat plate with the 3 pass thru connectors. I added the foam trim and L brackets to secure it to the center factory a/c plenum. Use the hard factory a/c ducts that run from the center factory a/c plenum to the factory a/c side dash outlets. Now you can use the factory a/c vents in the center console and on each side of the dash and it looks like factory a/c. Use corrugated hose cautiously, the ribbing creates turbulence, slowing flow - big time.

I haven't had mine installed long enough to work it very hard yet and the airflow is great, it isn't loud, and no big drain on the motor.

Here are a few pics and will be happy to take more pics if you would like. I did almost all of the work myself since at the last minute I accepted an offer from my mechanic neighbor to evacuate and fill the system at a new car dealership. He didn't even have the car running when he did it....seems disrespectful... haha!

Custom Plate installed for Distribution Duct 1.jpgCustom Plate installed for Distribution Duct 2.jpgCustom Plate installed for Distribution Duct 4.jpgInterior Finished 028.jpg

Greg after our conversation about AC in your car and now your posts I have done some asking around. Here is what I found anecdotal at best but worth passing on.

There is a very well known Blown Hot Rod here in town very well respected show car nationally, word is the AC took more than 1 attempt to get working in a way that befits a $250.000 show car, I also found out about 2 other misses 1 in a 55 Chev and another in a 64 Galaxie. I also found about 4 other blokes with a positive experience with kits less than 2yrs old. I found this interesting as all the less than good ACs where ordered about 2 years ago. All these blokes reckon that the company is shit to deal with and seem to be dismissive of problems half a world away. There is also a wholesale rep for vintage air here in town. I have a passing acquaintance with this fella so I will have an off the cuff discussion with him around warranty and trouble shooting etc.

Well there you go Greg. Don't know if any of it makes 1 bit of difference to your situation but thought I would share what I heard

ps the unhappy people all have the under dash hidden type. While the other blokes bar 1 have a different style. I Don't know if this points to a capacity issue in the unit or may highlight a change in manufacture origin/process or quality or shift of facility that may of occurred around 2+ years ago

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Luke,

Thank you very much for going to the trouble and putting the feelers out, and thinking of me here. That's very good of you. What you've turned up is very interesting indeed. Not surprised that you learned about a common problem with service help, and backup, and other issue as well.:dodgy:

Ponypastor i think summed up the company quite well with his feedback in another thread on the Classic Air System, and he quotes ....................For what it is worth, I deal directly with Classic Air since I live rather close; have no choice as I use a 1979 Thunderbird as a daily driver here in hot Florida. The service manager is a good guy and genuinely tries to help out what ever issue with my system might have. But if you deal with anyone higher up, the quality and availability of the help diminishes rather quickly.

The problem, as I see it, is that they are the only game in town and they know it. They have no competition to speak of. Thus they have no incentive or motivation to keep their customers happy. They manufacture systems primarily. That is their M.O. That is where the $ is made.

In the past they had a service department; but that space and personnel was replaced by more manufacturer-driven plans. Selling the AC systems is what they are all about.

My 2 cents worth from working with them for 20 years.

And i said myself previously and i quote ..........................Thanks Autoedit, from what your own experience has been, i have a hunch that your system being new, may have been upgraded or improved on from what i ended up buying a couple of years ago.Speaking in general terms, i know some companies use the buying public as guinea pigs for their products. They will secretly improve or rectify a new product,to better or fix a previous model and not tell the customers. I can't be sure, but i have a feeling that i just may have been a victim of this myself.

In relation to air power force output of my unit being weak, i will take Jeff73 Mach 1's advice and investigate as to whether or not any under dash ducting has worked it's way loose at all. The air compressor angle issue will be further investigated and more than likely be rectified.Jeff has also raise a very important point about sealing plugs that were Classic Air factory installed to the entry and exit pipes of the heater core unit. These plugs have to be removed from the pipes on installation other wise water cannot flow through them. There is no mention at all in the instruction manual provided, about the plugs and the important need to remove them. Jeff himself, became a victim of this very problem, and had to back track and fix this problem himself.This could have happened to me, and i will be investigating to see whether they have in fact been removed or not. This could be why i am having trouble with getting hot air into the cabin. I also have to investigate a 25amp fuse under dash setup, that may be not quite right as well.

So all in all, i am doing my best to try and make this system work properly, and iron out all the problems, but man, am i having a lousy trip with this product from the start.Thanks again for your feedback Luke, and i will update this thread and let folks know how i get on with solving the remaining problems.It will be interesting to see what the Vintage Air man has to say as well i guess.

Cheers,

Greg.:)

Back