Cleaning Contacts Pays Off

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, Q code, 4 speed, 3.25, A/C, P/S
I read a few threads recently about taking apart the rear tail lights, cleaning the internals and repainting them white. The basic thinking is that this brightens the light output.

I started in on that today, but when I took the tail lights off, they felt a little too brittle to pry out the lenses, so I opted not to.

However, I did remove every bulb and clean every contact and reinstall with the dialectic grease. It made a noticeable difference with all six bulbs! I then did the side markers, too.

If you're looking for a quick project to increase light output give it a shot.

It's the little things, sometimes . . . :)

I'm a believer!

My horn wasn't working one day for a safety inspection. Tested the fuse on both sides and it was good, but the side feeding the horn circuit was corroded. I tore the whole steering wheel apart to check the horn button contacts at the garage (the guys loved the car and it was a slow day, so they were cool about letting me do it right there), but no joy. Got it home, pulled the fuse, cleaned it and the contacts, and went back the next day to pass.

Last edited:
Back