Cleaning cowl area

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande will undergo three phase build process. Phase 1 is complete (driver). Phase 2 is interior/exterior restoration. Phase 3 is ++ performance.
I did search the previous posts, but how do you clean the cowls on the 73? And how do you check the drain, beside pouring water into it? I’m at step 1 of the process and beyond the removal of the top of the cowl, it isn’t apparent how to clean/verify this. I’ve already vacuumed the dirt I can reach, but there’s more behind the top of the vent. Any ideas are appreciated.

What I did is attach a section of hose, something like a 1/2" hose to your vacuum tube. You can use some good old duck tape. Then you can take this hose and blindly guide it with your hand around that area. It helps to have small hands. You can also fit the suction hose through the cowl's fender drain to reach the area behind the hat.

Thank you. So, the drain is behind the hat? No wonder I couldn’t locate it. I’m having trouble finding where the drain comes out. Does anyone have a photo that shows the output location? Thank you in advance.

The drain faces the front fender. If you dont want to remove the fender you should be able to get to it after removing the plastic piece located behind the wheel. With a flash light look in the cavity between the fender and cowl. You will see a small opening right where the pinch weld of the cowl is.

Here is a picture of the cowl and you can see the drain on the lower outside corner.  There is one drain on each side.  

gp6AkE2adDgP0w4qR-du1AvSDBrR1W55DS3AiqdPY_mXF616e9TvYQjlKogdQ90bn5dIGsjPl3-Qtq44VNPQNQ0b64tu_o6yIc5JO4RuYI05Pj-3SaWSAQ4i7-WlGAMNU8-Y1g5SYwMMDXH6VgHlDiN55kdF_LpWDnkmMgZH4OE62Wt9Cj_A0YWI8079HbsR3JprLoGIJynNzYptB3M6hJf64Ta-E6qk3_RCmcz4O-LW8TkIT90lWhPvdQQLF9YCd5PV8PUgrpTx5MF2EuIcFpd34DWHAtkWEZonnzGIBfMzhyrP-DB9LSQVvaPYAsxgNfKjRND_tWtSYHreHMi0O6VcyZWRZ_F1oSZUhHcb4V1aXwy4znxZpjtzUuvC_fkkvlCgRO6NyZR00SnwAA7g0LYRBdo57widll9-Ji5KqJaaKvrNrsHs7uPRr-9rAqrTB0HjnmuIuG92EsyWX-WibaFHSn2_rKOS9bBEtkYL5ZOwsEYXRMXEoKIFeGUC8mZWmxIiPlTeJwamoJRtf72GNrVsg9gfivrW1COpdU7WmvEbczdrn_6udbpjUsdpfZrHVzmmthdJw61bukFcHfzzJ-zWMSBz2pjsq9Kn4GWbC_8YnKhlB3ZpQlcJLzfidpzjmYTr9dDwmxBxZdQCyTSfZmBFnemOVrNkw0bbQY4ytQQ8ypVcEispGfv6r8qdT6_Z8chZ52wdA1ddTXmmgDPKqc21=w1410-h1057-no

I hope that helps.

I just saw this post and a little late. I do a couple things to keep critters out of the cowl. You will have to remove the front fenders to get to the drains. They are a perfect entry point for mice or critters including snakes to get into your car. I have had two cars that had mouse nests inside the cowl and their pee is like acid. To keep them out of the cowl and the heater box I do several things. After cleaning out the cowl I take a stainless steel scrubber pad and cut a piece that I stuff in both of the cowl drains under the fender. I also cut 1/4" mesh wire to fit under the cowl vents that are plastic. The openings are big enough for critters to get in there but the 1/4" mesh stops them. I paint flat black and zip tie to the plastic with tiny zip ties. When I have heater box out I cut a piece of the 1/4" mesh and put between cowl and heater box seal so two barriers to prevent them getting in.
I have the electronic mice repellents in my shop and never a mouse in over 5 years now. I leave snacks and bags of corn in the shop and no mice. A bad picture of the mesh wire on the heater box. Don't have any of the cowl vents on here.

DSC_0947.JPG

Back