Clear vs green glass- why two?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The green glass is what manufacturers called tinted glass, it was an option.

It must have been what Ford thought would be UV protection for the interiors of all those cars owned by lucky people who live in very sunny climates. The rest of us got clear glass. Well, maybe not, my car was from California and had only clear glass. I believe the backlite was always tinted though.
Yes, it was an option.

My 26K mile, 74 Maverick has A/C and all clear glass. If anyone knows where I can buy a new or excellent used clear windshield, let me know...Only tinted or tinted/shaded are available!

Clear glass was standard on all models. A tinted windshield was standard on the convertibles but had clear side glass. Since the rear glass on the sports roof models was like a giant magnifying glass, they were tinted, but the coupes still had the standard clear. The green-tinted glass was a standalone option and was not included with AC, but it was Ford's recommended option when AC was ordered. So it was possible to end up with an AC car with clear glass or a non-AC car with tinted glass! :)

It did come standard on AC cars and was available as an option on non AC cars. My customer order car shipped to Ogden, UT was a non AC car with tinted glass ordered as an option.
It was a mandatory option with a/c cars. You paid for the a/c option and the tinted glass option. You could have tinted glass without a/c but not the other way around.

It was a mandatory option with a/c cars. You paid for the a/c option and the tinted glass option. You could have tinted glass without a/c but not the other way around.

Like Secluff noted, it was a recommended option. Same wording in all the sales books.

1667493160458.png

This isn’t really an options list, as it says these are the features.
Some things he list are standard he is just stated what the car featured. So you can’t say tinted glass with AC was standard from this report.
I think you would need what used to be called the Emiger report. It was a copy of the order.

This isn’t really an options list, as it says these are the features.
Some things he list are standard he is just stated what the car featured. So you can’t say tinted glass with AC was standard from this report.
I think you would need what used to be called the Emiger report. It was a copy of the order.

That's not how his reports are supposed to work. The "features" are options above and beyond the "standard" equipment. The only real exception to that I have seen is he always lists the tires the vehicle was equipped with, whether they were standard or optional.

Here's a 71 invoice I found online, tinted glass being a separate charge from the AC system.

1667565208510.png

Last edited:
bkdunha said:
It did come standard on AC cars and was available as an option on non AC cars. My customer order car shipped to Ogden, UT was a non AC car with tinted glass ordered as an option.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My car was non A.C and also shipped to Ogdon Utah. It has tinted glass also.

My 73 Coupe has factory air, no tint. It was an option… What's interesting to me is that the car was originally sold and spent its entire life in Oakland California, before i bought it. I would think the original owner might have wanted to spend the extra $$$ for the tint back in the day... My 71 J Code vert has AC and the tint from the factory...

Last edited:
Back