clock running super fast

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ

Reaction score
My Car
71 mustang convertible
Hi,  I was recently replacing radio on my 71 mustang. Made all the connections on the aftermarket radio but could not get it to work. Anyway I had 12v power coming from the fuse box. Previous owner had wired direct.  I accidently let wire touch metal and had a small spark not a big deal fuse still good and I had 12v.  a few minutes later the clock started to run at a very high speed you can hear it from 20 feet away. I no longer have 12v...the car will not start just makes clicking noise. lights work,,,foot lights work...no dash or blinker. Tried to jump with no luck.  Something got fried not sure what. I can find no burnt wires and never had any burning electrical smell.      I am a newer owner of this car.   any help, thanks I'm frustrated

If nothing works I would suspect the fusible link. It'll be connected to either your solenoid (no gauges) or terminal by the solenoid (with gauges).

+1 on disconnecting battery before doing ANY electrical work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Don above, fusible link. Happened to me on a 69 mach 1, about 30 years ago. My problem was the fusible link that runs in the engine compartment on the driver's side. Good luck.

Tom

oops just realized my typo on header...not sure if I can edit that

I edited it for you although I probably shouldn't have. I only clicked this thread because that typo made me curious as to what to expect. :)

I edited it for you although I probably shouldn't have. I only clicked this thread because that typo made me curious as to what to expect. :)
Pervert.   :D ::devil:: rofl

Back