Clutch kit recommendation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 T5 Q-Code 4-Speed
Hi guys,

I have to change the clutch because it segregates not so well anymore. Do you have a clutch kit recommendation? A friend of mine and Cleveland enthusiast mentioned that a diaphragm style is easier to step than the three finger style. Any suggestions?

Would this do the thing

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/zzz-mu2030-1/overview/year/1973/make/ford/model/mustang

or could it be also a AMS

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=200241&cc=1132995

from rockauto.com too? It would cost me almost half of the summit...

Or what easy to change option would you recommend and which details should I take care of?

Thank you,

cheers,

Tim

I'd be careful of wild bargains - there's a lot of "Pacific Rim" junk flooding the market. Even counterfeit brand name stuff.

Stick with big name brands from reputable supply houses.

Regards,

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a plain Zoom clutch kit that I bought 10 years ago that is doing fine.

If you install a diaphragm style clutch you will need to remove the assist spring under the dash or the clutch pedal will sometimes like to stay stuck to the floor. There is nothing wrong with the old style long clutch pressure plates as long as everything is in good working order.

I when I put the TKO in my '68, I contacted Bruce Couture at Modern Driveline. It's a modern style clutch. They work with the bell crank as well as the cable setup (I went cable). It's a nice setup and very smooth. It's worth looking into.

Mike

If you're not radically racing, Centerforce clutches are very popular and easy on the foot. Ask me how I know.

Hi everybody,

thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Ok, so I deduce from that for me I will go with a diaphragm style clutch and a standard higher value kit because I will stay in the 300 - 350 PS - liga and won't do racing - only a bit on the german autobahn :D

I have just phoned with a local mustang supplier and he recommended me a high value Sachs clutch kit which is a plug and play kit. Otherwise I would do a Zoom, which is with customs and shipping about the same as the Sachs. An upgrade would be a Center Force dual friction but I think that is too much for my setup and not absolutely necessary.

Tim

I prefer the Sachs over the Zoom

I have a Zoom Kevlar and it is a nice feeling clutch, but their throw out bearing was garbage from the moment it came out of the packaging.

I also have a Centerforce Dual Friction assembly I removed -- it was trashed by a transmission shop that test drove my car after I told them the 5th gear shift fork had failed and asked them to pull the transmission. It stuck in 5th gear and they tried to slip the clutch to get it back instead of calling a wrecker. Up until then I liked it.

I prefer the Sachs over the Zoom
That's the way I will also go to now :)

I also have a Centerforce Dual Friction assembly I removed -- it was trashed by a transmission shop that test drove my car after I told them the 5th gear shift fork had failed and asked them to pull the transmission. It stuck in 5th gear and they tried to slip the clutch to get it back instead of calling a wrecker. Up until then I liked it.
Oh man, that's not a nice ending of the story... A friend of mine which is my gearhead buddy to go through it all has this clutch too in his 69 Mach 1 and he is very satisfied with it. But I think it is a bit overdressed - for me. He is always beating the hell out of it... :D

Tim

Back