clutch pedal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellowmach351

Reaction score
My Car
1971 yellow Mach 1 ram air 351c traction loc 4 speed. Ordered new from the factory in April 1971. 74,000 miles, in excellent condition. Going through complete engine rebuild only to increase horsepower, not because it needed it. Should bring 430 to 450 hp upon completion.
Hi guys. Been awhile since I posted a question, but here's a goofy one. I haven't driven the Mach 1 in a long time, as I have been rebuilding the entire car. This is a top loader 4 speed. I installed new Ram clutch assembly and all is good, EXCEPT... The clutch pedal seems like it sits too high before depressing it. I have adjusted the clutch per specs, but it just doesn't seem right... and since it' been awhile, like I mentioned, I don't remember how high it originally was. Anyone have any ideas, OR would someone be kind enough to measure their pedal height for me? Lowest part of the pad to floor. 

Thanks a lot for any help.

I can check later today. BTW if you leave the car sitting you should make something to block the pedal pushed in some to prevent the clutch disc from sticking. Sometimes they will stick and you will not be able to put in gear since the transmission will not disengage. Sometimes you can get to pop loose but some not.

Hi guys. Been awhile since I posted a question, but here's a goofy one. I haven't driven the Mach 1 in a long time, as I have been rebuilding the entire car. This is a top loader 4 speed. I installed new Ram clutch assembly and all is good, EXCEPT... The clutch pedal seems like it sits too high before depressing it. I have adjusted the clutch per specs, but it just doesn't seem right... and since it' been awhile, like I mentioned, I don't remember how high it originally was. Anyone have any ideas, OR would someone be kind enough to measure their pedal height for me? Lowest part of the pad to floor. 

First, when you installed the RAM diaphragm clutch, did you REMOVE the heavy assist spring that was supposed to take pressure off the pedal load? If you did not, it's a bitch to do, but can be done. I did mine by removing the dash top, shielding the wiring and cutting through the spring with a dremel and cutting wheel. There is a ton of pressure on this spring so be very careful. The other way of course is to go in from under the dash and remove the bracket. BE CAREFUL!!!!

Also there is a bump stop that you can adjust or set up. You can use a hood bumper stop as has been suggested elsewhere. In my case I actually purposely set my pedal higher, short legs and all!

Another good thing to do is to replace the plastic bushings with bronze and add ball or roller bearings on the clutch shaft. Mustang Steve makes a kit as does Scott Drake. Requires total removal of the bracket, welding in the bearing retainers, but well worth it in the end. That reduced the effort on mine by at least 30%.

I have the details on the bronze bushing I used, but not at hand right now.

See attachment.

A neat trick for removing the clutch over-the-top spring that's under the dash is to press it in and then put pennies or coins between the coils. When you release the clutch pedal, the spring is now too long to sit in the bracket and can be easily removed.

You may lose some pennies this way, but it's better than losing quarters!

A neat trick for removing the clutch over-the-top spring that's under the dash is to press it in and then put pennies or coins between the coils.  When you release the clutch pedal, the spring is now too long to sit in the bracket and can be easily removed.  

Damn! I wish I'd known about that trick!! We still actually had pennies in Canada at the time I did mine. Now I'd have to use dimes, nickels or quarters!!

First, when you installed the RAM diaphragm clutch, did you REMOVE the heavy assist spring that was supposed to take pressure off the pedal load? If you did not, it's a bitch to do, but can be done. I did mine by removing the dash top, shielding the wiring and cutting through the spring with a dremel and cutting wheel. There is a ton of pressure on this spring so be very careful. The other way of course is to go in from under the dash and remove the bracket. BE CAREFUL!!!!

Also there is a bump stop that you can adjust or set up. You can use a hood bumper stop as has been suggested elsewhere. In my case I actually purposely set my pedal higher, short legs and all!

Another good thing to do is to replace the plastic bushings with bronze and add ball or roller bearings on the clutch shaft. Mustang Steve makes a kit as does Scott Drake. Requires total removal of the bracket, welding in the bearing retainers, but well worth it in the end. That reduced the effort on mine by at least 30%.

See attachment.
Thanks Stanglover. The culprit is probably the stop height adjustment. I will check that as soon as It's out of my paint shop. So much masked off, I can't get back in the car !!! lollerz

See attachment.
Thanks Stanglover. The culprit is probably the stop height adjustment. I will check that as soon as It's out of my paint shop. So much masked off, I can't get back in the car !!! lollerz
 You're welcome, hope it helps. I don't think these cars were really designed well when it comes to pedal set-up. I can't toe-n-heel and like I mentioned, I had to set my clutch pedal up high, just to get enough travel, otherwise I feel like I'm hugging the steering wheel. I'd like to actually shorten the column by 2", but that

s not really possible. Again as I've said before these car were built for 6 foot plus guys, not short a**es like me!!

A neat trick for removing the clutch over-the-top spring that's under the dash is to press it in and then put pennies or coins between the coils.  When you release the clutch pedal, the spring is now too long to sit in the bracket and can be easily removed.  

and people have the nerve to want to eliminate pennies

Not gonna lie, that is so damn clever

Last edited by a moderator:
Back