Clutch- what have I done

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, well this makes absolutely no sense at all. Mcleod says that pressure plate is only 1800 lbs which is fairly close to stock on the high perf engines, so it definitely should not be overly hard to push the pedal in.

They can respring it to make it lighter for $150.00 but then you run the risk of having it wear prematurely or possibly slip if you have good traction and dump the clutch. If you don't have sticky tires and don't beat the heck out of it frequently and your linkage is not causing any problem, you could have it resprung 100 lbs lighter and use their dual friction disc and it will be fine.

Also, if you find it "almost" tolerable but would like it a little easier to push the pedal in, then installing the needle bearing kit on the pedal bracket may help enough and if it doesn't you could still add the heim joints or you could leave the pedal support and try the heim joints first which would be easier.
Thanks so much for figuring all that out for me! Wow I have learned a ton. So the simple approach would probably be to just try retrofitting with needle bearing kit and see where I am at. Also, I am wondering if anyone ever "modded" the stock linkage, because technically you could lengthen a moment arm and use physics to have a more mechanical advantage when pressing, so the pressure would feel easier.

I would suggest that you drive it some more. Clutches need a few hundred mile break in and mine definitely felt better after break in. As to modding- you have to make sure that if you are going to try and lengthen arms, etc, that you don't run into physical interference or creating more or less overall travel. I hate to be the one to ask this, but have you verified that the clutch is properly adjusted with appropriate air gap?

ok, well this makes absolutely no sense at all. Mcleod says that pressure plate is only 1800 lbs which is fairly close to stock on the high perf engines, so it definitely should not be overly hard to push the pedal in.

They can respring it to make it lighter for $150.00 but then you run the risk of having it wear prematurely or possibly slip if you have good traction and dump the clutch. If you don't have sticky tires and don't beat the heck out of it frequently and your linkage is not causing any problem, you could have it resprung 100 lbs lighter and use their dual friction disc and it will be fine.

Also, if you find it "almost" tolerable but would like it a little easier to push the pedal in, then installing the needle bearing kit on the pedal bracket may help enough and if it doesn't you could still add the heim joints or you could leave the pedal support and try the heim joints first which would be easier.
Thanks so much for figuring all that out for me! Wow I have learned a ton. So the simple approach would probably be to just try retrofitting with needle bearing kit and see where I am at. Also, I am wondering if anyone ever "modded" the stock linkage, because technically you could lengthen a moment arm and use physics to have a more mechanical advantage when pressing, so the pressure would feel easier.
changing the leverage ratio to reduce pedal pressure will increase the stroke which is not a good idea. the very best solution for a heavy clutch would be to install something like a hydroboost slave which is like a powered system.

Lengthening the clutch fork arm will make it easier to push the clutch pedal but then you won't be able to push the clutch pedal far enough to get the pressure plate to completely release the clutch disc.

You might try replacing your clutch assist spring, in case yours has weakened over the years.

There is a mod that will work to decrease perceived effort. Put a larger pad on the clutch pedal- Not just the rubber cover, but the entire pedal. Find one on another car and cut it off (please don't do this to a forum members car) and weld it on to your pedal. Having more of your foot engaging the clutch will lessen the perceived effort. Another trick is to modify the seating position. Having your legs start off a bit higher will ease the pressure as well.

Back