Code??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennygharley

Reaction score
My Car
73 351 Cleveland "papa smurf".
Please don't bash me for not knowing but I see all these posts about Q code and H or R code. Where would a fella find his code? I'd figure in the vin but which didget? I have an H and a F in my vin. Thanks for any help. And remember when you were trying to learn about your car for those that won't help.

Nevermind. I see by the table above that H= 351c 2v. I was looking on another site that stated H= 351c 2v ram air. Thanks for all you guy's help. Just trying to learn a little about my car. Thanks again.

Nevermind. I see by the table above that H= 351c 2v. I was looking on another site that stated H= 351c 2v ram air. Thanks for all you guy's help. Just trying to learn a little about my car. Thanks again.

Be aware there are lots of sites with bad or misleading information. The pic posted by Rocketman is a good example - there was no "R" code engine in 1973.

I've attached the 1973 facts book, this is from the documentation supplied to Ford dealers.

Attachments

• 1973 Mustang Facts Book _ Rev 1 73.pdf
    9.5 MB · Views: 14
I won't bash you and even won't mention anything about didgiting or anything. Go to Marti auto works and get some valuable info on your car. Get a Marti report and the original window sticker at the least

Last edited:
Hello Kenny,
You made a wise decision when you decided to join this group. I occasionally contribute on a few other forums and witness "Bashing" regularly!
As Don C posted, that will never happen here.....well, except maybe for the Chevy engine thing! There are many knowledgeable people here, and all are willing to help in any way they can. There is also no such thing as a dumb question. It's nearly impossible for anyone to know absolutely everything about these vehicles, so it takes a village!

As Hemikiller posted, most of the "Expert" sites are filled with an abundance of just plain wrong or misleading info. Most of the ones I've seen make for some good comedy reading and must have been researched by a three-year-old. One site had a convincing listing that indicated that if a '71 M code (351C 4bl) was equipped with the ram air option, that automatically made it a Cobra Jet! I have seen the listing where it was claimed the H code meant it was 351C 2bl with Ram Air.
We all learn something new every day, so if you have a question or need some clarification on something, check-in with the "Village"! There's a good chance one of us has already "Been there, done that, and got the T-shirt"! :)

Back