Coil OVer rear shocks

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digithead

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang 351C-4V 4BBL 4 SPEED CONVERTIBLE White
Does anyone make a easy bolt on coil over rear shock that would fit the 1973 Mustang rear end? I have friend that says it would be a easy upgrade. But I cannot find them anywhere like CJ Pony parts, only FRONT shocks.  Does anyone have coil over in the rear with stock leaf springs and how do you like the ride?

The upper shock mounts aren't designed to be load bearing. I assume you're thinking about removing most of the leaves so you would be using the coils to support the car. You would have to reinforce the shock mounts and tie to the rails, or construct some kind of subframe. You'll also need to add a panhard bar to control lateral movements, and traction bars to control spring wrap.

Go to the Fat Man, Total Control Products, or Performance Online websites to see the kind of engineering they had to do for the earlier Mustangs rear suspension upgrades.

When my Mach 1 was brand new I put the clamp on coils on my rear shocks and never had an issue. I think the issue comes in when the car you put them on has rusted 30, 40, 50% or more of the material thickness away. I had Competition suspension also. The cars when new sat really low in the rear probably over and inch lower than front. I did the same thing on a 71 Maverick I had and put over 180,000 miles on it with not damage to the shock mounts.

David

There's no doubt the shock mounts have to handle a fair amount of force, just from the dampening forces transmitted through them. Helper springs probably add less force than a set of heavy duty shocks. This is still much less than the full weight of the car, especially when it hits a pothole.

I wouldn't hesitate to add helper springs, especially as a short term fix. I would not connect coil overs to the shock mounts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen more than a couple Mustangs with punched through upper rear spring perches from air or coil over shocks. The 71-3s are more durable in this area than the 65-70s, but it is still not designed to bear wight long term. I had a set of the helper coils on my first 73, only because I didn't have the tools or the money to replace the leaf springs.

If your car sits low in the rear, replace the leaf springs.

If you're looking for a suspension upgrade to a coil over system, you'll be eliminating the leaf springs and using trailing arms and a panhard bar, and the kit should have a set up to mount the coil overs anyway.

So I should have been clearer. I didnt mean to put them on and remove and leaf springs (all or partial). I meant to add coil over shocks just to replace existing shocks and

maybe make a better ride overall.

58539.jpg
like thees i tried them and hated them  when i hit a big bump it made the rear jump up and did not handle very well

What you are looking for is helper springs, not coil overs. Coil overs perform the duty of the original springs.

You might try air shocks, easy to adjust the air pressure, ride height, and ride quality. Just don't expect them to carry the weight of the vehicle long term.

The best way is to do your research and get good quality replacement springs from Eaton Detroit Springs. Search our forum, the different types and brands have been discussed many times.

58539.jpg
like thees i tried them and hated them  when i hit a big bump it made the rear jump up and did not handle very well
Thanks nailpounder, yes thats what I was wondering if they even existed for our cars. Did you take them back off?

58539.jpg
Thanks nailpounder, yes thats what I was wondering if they even existed for our cars. Did you take them back off?
i got them at orally and got my money back for me it was a big mistake

i got the cheep 4 leaf springs from cj pony parts for my car . they flattened out in less then a year .if you buy the five leaf standard eye your car will proubley sit like a stink bug way to high.take your time in deciding what springs you want and need . the coil over shocks are not the answer . just my thoughts .

Back