Collector Car Insurance

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach I
Looking to possibly change insurance carrier on my Mach.  Interested in feedback from 7173 members as to who they insure their car(s) with and if they ever had a claim and the results of claim.  

I too use Hagerty. I recently upped the value on my Mach without need for a new appraisal. I like the fact that if the car were to be totaled, I'd get the agreed value plus get my car back. If I remember that rider had a cost of 15% of the premium, but well worth it. I assume this is the same in the US as it is in Canada, but I'd check if I were you.

Hagerty Cherished Salvage.jpg

My car was covered through Nationwide, but it was actually Hagerty that insured it. When my car was totaled, they were very good to work with. It took a few weeks do go through all the paperwork but they did make it pretty easy. The car was insured for an agreed upon value with no appraisal. Just sent in pictures and details of the car. If I wanted to raise the coverage I could have done so with an appraisal.  My car was insured for $36,000.  Since it was totaled i had to buy it back and it costs me just under $6k to buy it back.  So I now have a totaled Mach 1 and $30k and change to fix it with.  Overall, I highly recommend not totaling your car !! LOL 

All I can tell is is to NOT use Grundy. I had a nightmare trying to collect from them. I am currently using Hagerty.

Yes, it’s such a bad look! Lol I can still feel the impact when the bridge of my nose broke my steering wheel. Thankfully I had a cheap wood wheel installed at the time. Hurts to see that damage on your car too Kevin. Anyway Hagerty treated me well and believe it or not my insurance rate has actually dropped a few bucks since then. It’s cheaper to have full coverage on my Mach 1 than it is for basic insurance with no collision for my 2002 Dakota pick up truck.

I had Farmers Insurance on my car, back in Los Angeles. I had one claim, and although they handled it promptly, the policy was pricey, ( in all fairness, the location made the odds of a claim much higher ).  I moved to Boise and my premium dropped by half for the same coverage. Here's my "ouch".

View attachment 57418

Hagerty, and no claims. I like their agreed value definition and their get-you-anywhere breakdown coverage. Also no mileage limits. Cover both the Mustang and the Marauder.
I use Hagerty for all my old cars. Case in point, my current car is a 1971 Mach 1, valued at $16k and costs me bout $90/year!

I use American Fam, they are super flexible on WI weather conditions, my agent knows I crank her up every month and may take her for a spin when the salt is off the roads. $.75/per day on full coverage at $40k replacement and haven't had to file a claim and hopefully never will especially for a frontal crunch like the pics earlier!

Back