color

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dark Toreador is got my vote.
#1 is Ford dark Toreador red met

#2 is GM dark Toreador red met

#3 is Ford Toreador red met

#4 is GM dark cherry met

Dark Toreador is got my vote.
#1 is Ford dark Toreador red met

#2 is GM dark Toreador red met

#3 is Ford Toreador red met

#4 is GM dark cherry met
I vote #1 My 04 F350 was dark Toreador red met.
My 2000 F350 Dually is that color. That is why I was looking into it, Now since is a 2000 it is faded, but I love the color!

carshowjune26 055.JPG

Doc,

What are you spraying your samples over ? The brown on the car ? If so they are not true representations of the color..That color is pretty translucent & will change according to the base..So you should try spraying over gray primer first then a silver base..then your color..

Doc,

What are you spraying your samples over ? The brown on the car ? If so they are not true representations of the color..That color is pretty translucent & will change according to the base..So you should try spraying over gray primer first then a silver base..then your color..
Ok now, how do I put this???? I have always thought you know you stuff as I can see in all you posts and the help you have given me, but you just really proved it here!! ( as you can see this in the pic!!) Yes I did find out the primer color REALLY makes a differences!!! I did try different primers on #2 and #4. and both have a silver half and green primer and #4 I also put black on the black corner. It does make a big difference!!! I am still playing around and learning!! Just can not figure out how to not get the ridge between the colors!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Different shades, #1 to #4 from right to left.

What do you think??
Ok, sorry I am retarded!!!! #1 is left and #4 is on the right!!! My 23 year old son just pointed that out to me and I will not tell you what he called me!!!!!LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Doc,

Ok now, how do I put this???? I have always thought you know you stuff as I can see in all you posts and the help you have given me, but you just really proved it here!! ( as you can see this in the pic!!) Yes I did find out the primer color REALLY makes a differences!!! I did try different primers on #2 and #4. and both have a silver half and green primer and #4 I also put black on the black corner. It does make a big difference!!! I am still playing around and learning!! Just can not figure out how to not get the ridge between the colors!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do you think??
Ok, sorry I am retarded!!!! #1 is left and #4 is on the right!!! My 23 year old son just pointed that out to me and I will not tell you what he called me!!!!!LOL
'

I was thinking that #1 was looking a little dark especially when you showed the pic of your truck....but that would be my vote!

Thanks Doc! The real way to do "spray outs" is to run a piece a tape between the colors..as far as the ridge goes, you lay down a coat of clear on the ridge first..come back in after it flashes...then clear the whole thing...then wet sand the ridge with 800 to 1000 wet..till it's gone be careful you don't cut through to the base..Then clear the whole panel..Ridge gone..Oh also that color is a base coat clear coat..if your only spraying the base (which it looks like) The clear is going to also change it even more so than the the primer /underbase

Last edited by a moderator:
Doc,

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do you think??
'

I was thinking that #1 was looking a little dark especially when you showed the pic of your truck....but that would be my vote!
I think the same thing!! The color of my truck is what I want but I am using just Dupli.color spray cans and they are not so good!!! 2 different cans came out different!!!!

What I am thinking now is to go to a paint shop and have them mix me some paint the color of my truck but put some heavy gold flake in it to match the ginger better in the sun light....... The more I paint, the more I learn!!!!

What do you think of that?????

I think the same thing!! The color of my truck is what I want but I am using just Dupli.color spray cans and they are not so good!!! 2 different cans came out different!!!!

What I am thinking now is to go to a paint shop and have them mix me some paint the color of my truck but put some heavy gold flake in it to match the ginger better in the sun light....... The more I paint, the more I learn!!!!

S***T no wonder that paint looked so dull, lacquer old technology..Doc the way to get your color correct the way YOU want it is to go to the paint distributor have them mix a stock pint of urethane base & get a pint of omni clear & hardener (cheap but good for what your doing) GET the formula..it will tell you the toners used & see what the toners are..You can't just add gold flakes to the base..the other toners may "wash out or hide the gold flakes"..You can try using a metallic gold TONER but not just flakes..The distributor may not have someone capable of mixing colors on the fly with out a formula..A quality body shop with a paint mixing system might be a better option..

S***T no wonder that paint looked so dull, lacquer old technology..Doc the way to get your color correct the way YOU want it is to go to the paint distributor have them mix a stock pint of urethane base & get a pint of omni clear & hardener (cheap but good for what your doing) GET the formula..it will tell you the toners used & see what the toners are..You can't just add gold flakes to the base..the other toners may "wash out or hide the gold flakes"..You can try using a metallic gold TONER but not just flakes..The distributor may not have someone capable of mixing colors on the fly with out a formula..A quality body shop with a paint mixing system might be a better option..

Thanks Scott, I am going look around here to see if I can get some made for me. I will practice my prep work in the mean time!! And find some good tape!!!!

You asked for opinions so, here is mine. Pick a color that would have been available from Ford with the ginger interior. Given the number of choices that were available there is probably some combination you would like. It is a hedge on the value of the car in case you would ever need or want to sell the car. JMO

Chuck

My choice would be the dark red (the one next to the door, just to make sure, as you said you screwed up the sides).

It's not your standard hue everybody associates with "red".

Are you set on going red? I could imagine something like midnight blue with a violet hue to go with the interior. Dunno how to describe it correctly but you may get the drift.

Back