color

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang convertible. 351C 4V
1968 Ford F-100 300 str6 3 sp
1999 Ford Contour sport V6 5sp
2000 Ford F350 4X4 7.3 turbo diesel dually
2000 Ford F150 4X4 5.7L
I know this was talked about a little before but I was just wondering what you all think would look good on my car.

Stock my vert is med brown met with med ginger knitted vinyl interior and a white top.

I think I want to keep the ginger interior since I have new carpet for it, came with the car.

the top I want to change to black and I want to do black stripes on the bottom and on the NASA hood.

ether I stay close to the brown ( I really do not think I like the brown) I just picked up some sunburst Gold met and I think it is too lite in color.

Or change to something much different ( white)??

I would love to here what you would think would look better, thanks

I know this was talked about a little before but I was just wondering what you all think would look good on my car.

Stock my vert is med brown met with med ginger knitted vinyl interior and a white top.

I think I want to keep the ginger interior since I have new carpet for it, came with the car.

the top I want to change to black and I want to do black stripes on the bottom and on the NASA hood.

ether I stay close to the brown ( I really do not think I like the brown) I just picked up some sunburst Gold met and I think it is too lite in color.

Doc..I almost did this brown on my 71 Camaro..But given the deadline I'm under with the car I decided to keep it yellow but 2010 corvette yellow..If you take this pic to an auto body supply house they can mix it..I think this colour brown with the rite flakes in it ..black top..& the right wheels would be unique & classy..If you notice there's a nice silver sheen to this colour..It would have to be sprayed on top of a silver base to get that effect....JMO

70 camaro.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc..I almost did this brown on my 71 Camaro..But given the deadline I'm under with the car I decided to keep it yellow but 2010 corvette yellow..If you take this pic to an auto body supply house they can mix it..I think this colour brown with the rite flakes in it ..black top..& the right wheels would be unique & classy..If you notice there's a nice silver sheen to this colour..It would have to be sprayed on top of a silver base to get that effect....JMO
now I like that, I will have to keep this in mind!!! Thanks always!!!!

I WAS AT A SWAP MEET LAST WEEK AND SAW A 67 STANG THAT WAS PAINTED WITH DUPONT HOT HUES, IT WAS WHAT THEY CALL MOLTEN ORANGE OVER I THINK A GOLD BASE. THEY HAVE DIFFERENT BASE COLORS WHICH WILL CHANGE THE TOP COLOR, BUT IT LOOKED ALMOST LIKE A BROWN BUT NOT QUITE. THIS THING WOULD KNOCK YOUR EYES OUT AT 40 FEET. IT WAS SWEET. YOU'D HAVE TO GO TO A PAINT STORE THAT HAS DUPONT AND THEY SHOULD HAVE THE COLOR CHIPS. AND I BET PPG, OR HOUSE OF COLOR WOULD HAVE SOMETHING SIMILAR.

I WAS AT A SWAP MEET LAST WEEK AND SAW A 67 STANG THAT WAS PAINTED WITH DUPONT HOT HUES, IT WAS WHAT THEY CALL MOLTEN ORANGE OVER I THINK A GOLD BASE. THEY HAVE DIFFERENT BASE COLORS WHICH WILL CHANGE THE TOP COLOR, BUT IT LOOKED ALMOST LIKE A BROWN BUT NOT QUITE. THIS THING WOULD KNOCK YOUR EYES OUT AT 40 FEET. IT WAS SWEET. YOU'D HAVE TO GO TO A PAINT STORE THAT HAS DUPONT AND THEY SHOULD HAVE THE COLOR CHIPS. AND I BET PPG, OR HOUSE OF COLOR WOULD HAVE SOMETHING SIMILAR.
That also sounds great, That is what I am looking for, some thing that will turn heads!!

now I bet that kind of paint job would be very hard to do.. I was thinking of painting it my self. I am going to paint an old beater car I have to see if I can do it.

White with black interior sounds good to me! I actually considered changing my 73 Wimbledon White to the 2004 Oxford White that's on our Mach 1, but I came around and kept mine the stock Wimbledon White. Oxford white is about as white as you can get! Look at the difference in the photos below:

DSCF0671.jpg

DSCF0664.jpg

If you look at mine, you'll see what a Medium Brown Metallic convertible looks in Corvette Yellow! ;)

I really like that color on the Camaro by the way!

Mopar had a color called "Tawny Brown", that's pretty cool.

009.JPG

That also sounds great, That is what I am looking for, some thing that will turn heads!!

now I bet that kind of paint job would be very hard to do.. I was thinking of painting it my self. I am going to paint an old beater car I have to see if I can do it.
Doc..When your ready to paint the car let me know...I will take a ride out with my helper Joey blowfish & help you..I admire you wanting to give it a go...But if you want a head turner your going to need an experienced painter (ME) To make it happen..when you get ready to do the body work call me & I will tell you the materials to buy..the procedures..I will also scan the issue of DuPont refinsher news I was written up in, & send it to you..

DOC.. I APPLAUD YOU FOR WANTING TO GIVE IT A SHOT.. YES PAINTING HAS MANY SECRETS, BUT ALL ARE LEARNABLE WITH ALITTLE PRACTICE. THE NEW BASECOAT-CLEARCOAT PRODUCTS ARE VERY FORGIVING. THEY DONT RUN OFF ON THE FLOOR NEARLY AS EASY AS THE OLD SYNTHOL ENAMELS THAT WE USED IN THE PAST. BUT REMEMBER THIS. THREE SECRETS TO A GREAT LOOKING JOB.

1. PREP WORK.

2. PREP WORK.

3. PREP WORK. NO PAINTER CAN MAKE A POORLY PREPAIRED SURFACE LOOK LIKE A SHOW PIECE.

White with black interior sounds good to me! I actually considered changing my 73 Wimbledon White to the 2004 Oxford White that's on our Mach 1, but I came around and kept mine the stock Wimbledon White. Oxford white is about as white as you can get! Look at the difference in the photos below:

DSCF0671.jpg

DSCF0664.jpg

Doc & Mike: If white is still in the running, I saw the difference between the Wimbledon and the Oxford whites at the Pensacola car show a few weeks ago. It was amazing how creamy the Wimbledon is against the stark white Oxford! There was also another beautiful white (my favorite) on an authentic Cobra. The owner said it was Old English White (OEW) and was the original white for the Cobras instead of the Wimbledon. It was fantastic! Not quite as creamy as the Wimbledon but not stark white either...kind of a Bone color. That's the color I'm going with on my 71. Thing is it's not a color that is on many of the chip books here in the US (but it is available) and there are two versions of it, the older version is more creamy than Wimbledon and the latter is the bone color. Since that show, I've been looking at the white cars to see if there is a modern equivalent to the Old English and haven't seen anything on the streets.

I have some pics of the Cobra at home but here's a sampling of OEW from the net:

white289-1.jpg

white289-2.jpg

NJD.jpg

the-one-in-a-100_2286.jpg

04AF9462245499D.jpeg

IMG_0234.JPG

HOUSTON10485.jpg

since I need more parts to do more work to the car, I was just fooling around with color combo's.

This is just ruff sanded and painted with (ford dark toreador red) the same color as my F-350. I think it will look good with the ginger.

Any thoughts???

mustang paint#1 007.JPG

Doc..When your ready to paint the car let me know...I will take a ride out with my helper Joey blowfish & help you..I admire you wanting to give it a go...But if you want a head turner your going to need an experienced painter (ME) To make it happen..when you get ready to do the body work call me & I will tell you the materials to buy..the procedures..I will also scan the issue of DuPont refinsher news I was written up in, & send it to you..
Q-CODE - a very generous offer. Nice to see the degree of willingness to help.

DOC, if your up to spending a little and spraying a couple of times you can't go wrong with trying your hand and a few colors on various panels.

Q-CODE - a very generous offer. Nice to see the degree of willingness to help.

DOC, if your up to spending a little and spraying a couple of times you can't go wrong with trying your hand and a few colors on various panels.
That is what I am going to do now. + I need to sand better next time to see it better. I am going to get different shades of this color, well what ever shades they have of it!! I will take more pics and post when I do it. should be today.

Different shades, #1 to #4 from right to left.

What do you think??

mustang paint#1 011.JPG

Back