COMP Cams Roller Lifter Failure. AGAIN!!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Mustang
Just wonder if anyone else out there have had any problems with Comp cams hydraulic roller lifters? I just had 2 fail in my motor.

Couple weeks ago a heard a ticking sound in my motor. Thought is was a leaky header tap or a lifter. Pulled valve pan cover and #5 exhaust valve was ticking. I reset all the valves and that one would not set up right. Ran it to 0 lash and went 5/8 turn past that and it still felt spongy. I pulled the rocker off and I could push the push rod down into the lifter with ease. So I pulled the intake and removed that set of lifters. With 1 finger I could push the plunger down. So I went to my machine shop and he ordered me another pair. Have to buy them in pairs because of the dogbone link.

The new set came in and I reinstalled everything and reset the valves and it felt good. Fired it up and within 5 min. it was ticking again. WTF??? So I pull the valve pan and this time its #5 intake lifter on the new pair of lifters tapping like hell. Thought maybe it needed to run a little but it did not pump back up after about 20 min of run time.

Needless to say I was pissed because now I have to pull the intake AGAIN! My machine shop was going to contact COMP and see what is going on?? He ordered me a new set free of charge and said he will deal will comp on my behalf. He said he buys TONS of comp products and has only seen very few problems over the years. Just my luck I guess!!! Those solid roller lifters are looking better all the time!!! Anyone else hear anything bad about the Comp hydraulic roller lifters for our Cleveland's??

Last edited by a moderator:
Kevin,

Last winter when I had my 351 cleveland overhauled due to a bad cam & lifters, I discussed the Comp roller lifters with him as an option.

He stated that they were not proven 100% yet and I would be better off with normal flat tappets using the correct additive, break-in oil & proper break-in procedures.

Thanks, Jay

Kevin,

Last winter when I had my 351 cleveland overhauled due to a bad cam & lifters, I discussed the Comp roller lifters with him as an option.

He stated that they were not proven 100% yet and I would be better off with normal flat tappets using the correct additive, break-in oil & proper break-in procedures.

Thanks, Jay
Thanks for the info Jay! I definitely wanted roller lifters, maybe I should of went with the solid rollers?? Have to do some adjusting once in a while but that's not too bad.

Also check out the rockers. I had a rocker partially fail this spring. It had broken on one side of the bearing. It would have caused a spongy feel also. It made one heck of a ticking noise.

Last winter, I had to have my motor re-done due to a couple of issues, cam and lifters being one of them. Cam selection was widely discussed here, whether to go roller or flat tappet and many brands were discussed. In the end, my engine shop went with a replacement Melling flat cam and lifters under warranty and so far so good. In my discussions with the shop manager, he said he wouldn't use Comp Cams cam or lifters, calling them Chinese junk. Are they Chinese, I don't know, but he definitely wasn't going to use them. He does however use Comp Cams break-in oil. Hmmm!

hey is anyone running the howards cam roller lifers if so please shoot me a pm on how you like them troubles etc

thanks mongoscj

Well I got the new pair of lifters Friday and put them in. I was turning over the motor and setting each set of rockers and when I got to the new pair, the exhaust lifter was very spongy!!! WTF???:mad: I am beginning to hate COMP!! I buttoned everything back up and fired it up...... tap tap tap tap tap. I am absolutely boiling right now! Two pair of lifters brand new from comp will not pump up!

I think I am done for the summer. This will be the 3rd time pulling the intake and lifters... im not putting comp junk back in. I am probably going to wait till winter and pull the motor and do a cam swap and go with solid roller lifters and cam.

Just a heads up to anyone else thinking of going with COMP.....DONT DO IT!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know anything about the roller cams. Should be easier on the cam but the NASCAR guys had to use solids and they ran 500 miles wide open back in the day. No hot cam on the street will last very long not made to. You have to go back toward stock for endurance. Hey the big boys rebuild the engine after each 1/4 mile.

Back