Competition Suspension - Manual Steering question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Man

Reaction score
My Car
1972 351Q Mach
1971 302 Fastback
I know the power steering was different for the competition suspension (variable ratio) but was the manual steering also different?

I'm not sure it was. I have a 71 Mach 1 with comp suspension that was originally manual steering (and drum brakes) and when I swapped in power steering, I found no difference in the supposed manual idler arm. Now, I did find a complete PS system off a 71 Mach 1 which bolted right in. I did need to find correct pulleys though and I got really lucky there by finding a set on the net that were even date code correct! As for the idler arm, I did replace that later with the best part available from NPD. I've run this now for about 10 years with zero problems.......... except needing to rebuild it all due to wear.

On a somewhat related subject, can I remove my pwr steering belt and run temporarily while I repair my pump?
Sorry for the hijack

On a somewhat related subject, can I remove my pwr steering belt and run temporarily while I repair my pump?
Sorry for the hijack

Not a good idea, but I'd be lying if I said I haven't done it.... ;)

Back