Complete wiring harness

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

Jackwagon3

Reaction score
I have a 71 Mach 1 that is going through some major upgrades and I’m wanting to replace the entire wiring harness. I don’t really have many electrical issues but since I have the motor and interior all out, no better time than now to replace all of the wiring.  I’ve been searching everywhere and found Painless and American Autowire has them but they say it comes with “many” of the correct connectors and sockets. Not really fond of the word “many” though. Anyone know of who has one that will have all of the correct connectors and sockets? Cutting and splicing old connectors to new wires seems like I’m defeating the purpose of a new harness.  Thanks for any input.

droptop73

VIP Members
Staff member
Reaction score
My Car
73 Convertible
I installed a "Painless" harness in my car last winter. It is certainly not plug and play and requires a bunch of forethought and quite frankly made my brain hurt. I went that direction since I had some fried wires under the dash and wanted to add some aftermarket power accessories in the future. You will be salvaging and splicing many connectors from your old harness. 

If your Harness is in good condition and you plan on keeping the car fairly original have your harness restored by Midlife. 

Hemikiller

Tech Advisors
Staff member
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
65 coupe
Another vote for Midlife, IMO it's better to keep the original wiring intact. 

The only aftermarket harness I have experience with is the American Autowire Classic Update kit. A friend bought one for his 79 Trans Am and it is a really nice setup. He's not a wiring guy and had no issues installing it. They make one for a 71-73. 

https://www.americanautowire.com/shop/1971-1973-ford-mustang-classic-update-kit

mwilson7

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 429
1972 Mustang Convertible 302
Midlife seems to recommend replacing the engine compartment harness so I don’t think they are an option.  I’m having a very tough time finding anywhere that has a 71 harness with sport lamps and tach.  Seems they are all out of stock.

midlife

Shorts checker
Reaction score
My Car
No Mustangs at the moment.
Midlife seems to recommend replacing the engine compartment harness so I don’t think they are an option.  I’m having a very tough time finding anywhere that has a 71 harness with sport lamps and tach.  Seems they are all out of stock.
That was my original recommendation when I first started out.  For7123's, there's only one headlight harness reproduced, and it is described wrong.  It is for a 71 Mach 1, standard dash. 

I have several in stock, but only a 73 tach headlight harness.  The tach versions seem to go quick out of my inventory. 

I've heard that many reproduction alternator harnesses are out of stock, but a recent customer was able to find one.  Perhaps the supply shortage is beginning to abate.

Latest posts