Compressor Recommdations

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

72MustangSprint

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Sprint coupe
I am starting to look for a compressor to start my project. Any recommdations on what size to get to run air tools, paint gun and media blasters? I looking in the $400-700 price range. I do have 220 hook up in the garage. thanks Joe

RacerX

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1973 351-2v Convertible
1973 351-2v Mach 1
1973 351-4V Q code Mach 1
64.5 Coupe
65 convertible
65 cobra kirkham
Best recommendation I can make is buy a commercial compressor, like Ingersol Rand. I've had a few and bought an IR a couple of years ago and now enjoy all the tools I can run from it and don't wait for it to catch up to me, even sandblasting.

Mine is over your budget at 7.5 hp, 2 stage and 80 gallon tank but they have smaller models that work just as well.

Buy the best options you can - try for dual stage, 5 hp and 60 gallon. I've seen them at Northern Tool for decent prices or Tractor Supply if I recall.

You might consider your local Craigslist or classifieds, good deals can be had if you are educated on what you are looking for. You'll also want a good oil water separator and moisture drain. I don't know how humid it is where you are in Tn. but here in Houston, it's very humid and I frequently have to drain moisture from my tank while running for extended periods.

Best of luck on your purchase.

72MustangSprint

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
Best recommendation I can make is buy a commercial compressor, like Ingersol Rand. I've had a few and bought an IR a couple of years ago and now enjoy all the tools I can run from it and don't wait for it to catch up to me, even sandblasting.

Mine is over your budget at 7.5 hp, 2 stage and 80 gallon tank but they have smaller models that work just as well.

Buy the best options you can - try for dual stage, 5 hp and 60 gallon. I've seen them at Northern Tool for decent prices or Tractor Supply if I recall.

You might consider your local Craigslist or classifieds, good deals can be had if you are educated on what you are looking for. You'll also want a good oil water separator and moisture drain. I don't know how humid it is where you are in Tn. but here in Houston, it's very humid and I frequently have to drain moisture from my tank while running for extended periods.

Best of luck on your purchase.

Thanks for the info. I have been looking On Craigslist and tractor supply. I'm going to go there today and get a closer look.

turtle5353

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Mustang
Bought my ingersol rand from tractor supply about month ago and love it. it can do anything i will ever need to do plus some. Its the 80 gallon with 5hp motor i believe. It runs $999. worth every penny.

72MustangSprint

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
Bought my ingersol rand from tractor supply about month ago and love it. it can do anything i will ever need to do plus some. Its the 80 gallon with 5hp motor i believe. It runs $999. worth every penny.
Found your thread after posted this one, lots of good info. That I-R looks sweet, will see if i can afford it.