Compressors and air tools

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Convertible
I am getting close to sanding and spraying undercoat and things. I have a POS 5 gallon Compressor now that will barely power my spray gun.

I need to buy a shop compressor along with accessories. I have friends that own a Sears Hometown store so I was looking at Sears compressors in the $300-$400 range for a 26-30 gallon tank. Any recommendations on compressors and air tools, like sanders and body tools? Do you like oil free or compressors with oil?? I am not stuck on Sears, I just like giving my friends the business.

I am getting close to sanding and spraying undercoat and things. I have a POS 5 gallon Compressor now that will barely power my spray gun.

I need to buy a shop compressor along with accessories. I have friends that own a Sears Hometown store so I was looking at Sears compressors in the $300-$400 range for a 26-30 gallon tank. Any recommendations on compressors and air tools, like sanders and body tools? Do you like oil free or compressors with oil?? I am not stuck on Sears, I just like giving my friends the business.
I prefer oiled compressors. A lot quieter and I don't believe in running machines without oil. Be sure to match the CFM of the compressor to the demand from your tools. Paint guns won't be the problem. Check the consumption in CFM on the DA, Die Grinder, and cutoff wheel you plan to buy. Get the biggest tank you can fit in your workshop and you will be happy.

I have a Coleman air tool set and some CP(Chicago Pnuematic) stuff. No complaints. My compressor is a Coleman oiled compressor with a 27 gal tank and 7.1 CFM at 40 psi/ 5.4CFM at 90 psi rating. It won't keep up with my die grinder. It will run with the Blast cabinet, but it runs constantly.

Hope that helps!

I prefer oiled compressors. A lot quieter and I don't believe in running machines without oil. Be sure to match the CFM of the compressor to the demand from your tools. Paint guns won't be the problem. Check the consumption in CFM on the DA, Die Grinder, and cutoff wheel you plan to buy. Get the biggest tank you can fit in your workshop and you will be happy.

I have a Coleman air tool set and some CP(Chicago Pnuematic) stuff. No complaints. My compressor is a Coleman oiled compressor with a 27 gal tank and 7.1 CFM at 40 psi/ 5.4CFM at 90 psi rating. It won't keep up with my die grinder. It will run with the Blast cabinet, but it runs constantly.

Hope that helps!
Oh yes, and the motor is a 5HP. It runs on 110V

By the way. Missouri just took Arkansas in Basketball. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in 2012 I bought the 30 gal Harbor Fright oil filled compressor 120v.

I sanded the entire car with it, painted all of the jam's and under the hood and trunk, and last year, I redid the trunk floor, and re sanded the rear 1/2 of the car to repair some of the winter damage.

during the summer my son did some sandblasting with it, and I'm always using air tools, and its still running strong.

its very quiet, and for the price $279 I couldn't complain.

Hope that helps!

Hope that helps!
Oh yes, and the motor is a 5HP. It runs on 110V

By the way. Missouri just took Arkansas in Basketball. :D
Thanks on the advice, but not on the comment about Razorback basketball, lol!!!!!!

Back in 2012 I bought the 30 gal Harbor Fright oil filled compressor 120v.

I sanded the entire car with it, painted all of the jam's and under the hood and trunk, and last year, I redid the trunk floor, and re sanded the rear 1/2 of the car to repair some of the winter damage.

during the summer my son did some sandblasting with it, and I'm always using air tools, and its still running strong.

its very quiet, and for the price $279 I couldn't complain.
Thank you! Is it a Central Pneumatic?

I don't care much for oil free. When buying a compressor you have to think about cfm (cubic feet per minute) of air delivery and buy according to your needs. Paint guns, and sand blasters require a lot of air to operate efficiently for an extended amount of time. Most air tools will run off of 12 cfm's but require a catch up time (something you do not want while spraying paint). Tank size is just as important as delivery cause the larger the tank, the more reserve you have. Spend a few extra bucks now and get a good one that will do everything you want and will last for years and you won't be disappointed. I personally would want a 14 cfm at 90 psi minimum for home body work, but in this case bigger really is better.

Oh and by the way, Missouri just got lucky this time :D

Here in Australia we run 240 volt on single phase supply.

I bought for home use, the biggest powered rig and biggest air capacity rig to operate on that supply spec, and still it won't keep up with my conventional factory spray guns and air tools with the air draw they use.

The only way up is to go three phase electric supply - that's big money for the home jock in every way.

Greg.:(

COMPRESSORS are like trucks,your not going to pull a 6000 lb. trailer with an s10. You have to look at your future plans and what you want to do, and how much. I don't think I would even think of spraying a car with a compressor less than 12 or 14 cfm and that knowing Im going to have to watch how I spray cause I would have to wait on it. and as said check the needs of your tools. I personaly have a 80 gal 24 cfm but I use it constantly. It is never turned off. And also as said tank reserve is a factor

I bought for home use, the biggest powered rig and biggest air capacity rig to operate on that supply spec, and still it won't keep up with my conventional factory spray guns and air tools with the air draw they use.

The only way up is to go three phase electric supply - that's big money for the home jock in every way.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/ingersoll-randreg%3B-5hp-air-compressor-80-gal?cm_vc=-10005

I bought this Ingersoll Rand 80 gal. compressor and absolutely love it. I do a ton of grinding with an angle grinder and run the da a lot and have never had one problem with this thing keeping up. Even ran 2 DA's with it at once. When I run the angle grinder a long time continuously, it not only keeps up but also will shut off for a few minutes while i'm still grinding before it needs to kick back on. I went big so I never have to buy another one for a LONG time. They also have a nice single stage 60 gal. for around $700. If you can afford the initial sticker shock its a great investment for the garage. Buy a compressor that will last a lifetime and you wont be disappointed. Money well spent.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/ingersoll-randreg%3B-5hp-air-compressor-80-gal?cm_vc=-10005

I bought this Ingersoll Rand 80 gal. compressor and absolutely love it. I do a ton of grinding with an angle grinder and run the da a lot and have never had one problem with this thing keeping up. Even ran 2 DA's with it at once. When I run the angle grinder a long time continuously, it not only keeps up but also will shut off for a few minutes while i'm still grinding before it needs to kick back on. I went big so I never have to buy another one for a LONG time. They also have a nice single stage 60 gal. for around $700. If you can afford the initial sticker shock its a great investment for the garage. Buy a compressor that will last a lifetime and you wont be disappointed. Money well spent.
I have the same compressor as turtle purchased. I looked into it after turtle posted up a thread on his, I've had no problems and it works well.

I sand blast with mine, works great. a D.A and a sandblaster will reveal a lot about a compressor real quick. Dennis

+1 Turtle5353. On the 80 gal IR. I run mine at 165 lbs then through 3/4" galvanized distribution system . Pressure reduced at some quick connects. Air stays cool and is near moisture free. Had a 30 gal craftsmen from 84 to 87 motors wouldn't last. No problems with IR since 87. I don't even give it a thought. I run skat blast. Hutchens straight line sanders. Pump cycles while still working. I run it like a body shop would. I would have been through several of those homeowner units. And oh yea. They rust through also. Get a ASME rated tank.

Back