Concourse Parking Brake review

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72HCODE

"My World is Fire and Blood"
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1.
A new product for 71-73 mustangs came out the last few months.

It is replacement parts for the Parking Brake cable that runs under the car.

the kit comes in 3 parts:

part 1) A parking brake pedal cable that runs from the parking brake inside the car under the chassis that connects to the passenger parking cable assembly.

part II) passenger side parking brake cable that runs around from the right rear drum around the parking brake pedal cable and down to the drivers side drum where a junction is.

Part III) from the drivers drum to the junction located in-front of the drivers side rear tire

There has been a standard replacement for the parking brake around for a couple of years but the newest is called a Concourse kit.

The Concourse Kit is suppose to be an exact match for the factory cable system.

I ordered a concourse kit to replace my 44 year old factory cable which was deteriorated.

I'm here to report the concourse Kit is FAR from Concourse and has a few issues.

1) the parking brake pedal to under the car cable has a Firewall Seal on it.

The seal is placed in the wrong spot on the cable and will need to be moved closer to the spring.

2) the firewall seal is the Wrong diameter. the original rubber plug is a molded thick piece of rubber that is very thick. the concourse version is just a piece of Rubber Hose shoved on and held with electrical tape wrapped around the cable tubing.

First you can not remove the original plug and put it on the concourse reproduction cable. I tried a bunch of different ways including boiling the original rubber plug to make it soft so i could transfer it. It is flat out impossible (i ripped mine trying). the plug must be installed on the cable during manufacture because the end caps are crimped onto the cable last.

my solution: first i had to move the hose about 5" from where the concourse cable originally had it positioned. so i pulled it down, marked where i needed it and then re-wrapped electrical tape around the cable to thicken it enough to hold the hose plug in position. (this is how the manufacturer did it before i moved it) Next the hose has to thickened A LOT. So i wrapped electrical tape around it A LOT to thicken the diameter up so it would fit tight in the hole in the floor board and prevent Fire, and exhaust gas from entering the cabin.

It was quite a Pain in the Butt installing the cable you need to pull up the carpet and under-layment. The Concourse Clips they provide in the kit is PURE garbage and Fit way to loose for me to feel safe, so i reused my 44 year old clips which fit snug.

-----------

the rear Cables:

The rear Cables are missing the dust boot caps. the shape of the connector that goes into the rear drum backing plates is a totally different shape then OEM and the boots will not fit unless you pack them with Sealant and jam them on to make a seal.

I'm considering going back and doing that to install the seals as water and dirt can get inside the bottom of the drum without these seals.

Again the Concourse Clips provided in the kit are PURE GARBAGE and fit loose so again i reused my 44 year old clips to make everything Fit

I'm still not done installing this kit as i have to go back and redo some stuff i'm not happy with.

tune in for more information.

Is it the correct length? Back in 2007 I was in the middle of restoring my 69 vert. Ordered sets of new E-brake cables from several #1 vendors and every one was too short. After some research, it appeared that the overseas reproductions were all made 2" too short (at least for my application). I ended up customizing the connector piece at the rear driver' side by cutting it in half and adding 2" to it's length.

All the vendors (NPD, Mac's, Laurel Mtn. etc) acknowledged there was an issue after I contacted them and discussed the problem with them. They offered no solution except maybe going for one the very expensive custom outfits to have one made that would fit. My solution was cheaper than a $300 custom E-brake cable.

I also had to clean and re-use my clips.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because of Backorder holding me up i ordered another concourse set from another vendor Will let you know what happens.

I couldn't finish the install yet, i did lay the cables out and they appeared to be the correct length.

Stay tuned next week after the 4th i should get the shipment.

Cross fingers.

Thanks for the review. It seems the vendors can't duplicate 45 year old technology. Chuck

As a surprise the cables showed up today.

I got these from ebay. Holy cow these are awesome and at first look 99% match to the OEM.

This is what I got

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190479860815?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

919771c7fdb0746c4b9c6a3d6e2711d9_zpsgzzubs34.jpg

Will let you know when I get them installed

Looks like we are paying for refining their R&D for these parts :/

Pretty much I'm happy to report they went in 97% perfectly

They match pretty close to OEM.

One issue the ball on the ends of the cable is slightly larger diameter then stock so the junction between the driver and passenger side cables had to be enlarged with my dermel to make them work I took some photos with my phone I'll try to post later.

i wanted to post those photos i took

here is the passenger side cables

left to right, Aftermarket claimed Concourse cables(they suck), my original cables, the Ebay cables that are awesome.

drivers side cable

compare the ebay version to the original.

now the pedal cable concourse is pretty good, my peeve with it is the rubber hose used as a body plug and you cannot transfer your original rubber part over to the new cable. you have to wrap it with tape to make it thicker so it plugs the body hole under the firewall.

Back