Confusion on my original paint color 1971 Sportroof

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool info here. Glad you decided to go back as much as possible to original. Keep us posted as you progress and DEFINITLY share some pictures of the completed color.

Interesting that they charged for special paint twice. I wonder if the body guy will match the price. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seriously how cool is that you could order a special non-mustang color from the factory for $73....probably going to have to add a couple of zero's to that now for good paint and body...

Very cool info here. Glad you decided to go back as much as possible to original. Keep us posted as you progress and DEFINITLY share some pictures of the completed color.
Will do, going to get a build page started and slowly start playing with some things. I will be looking for y'alls input for sure.

Great find.

Don't know how I missed this post. It looks like two of us found cars with the special paint about the same time. I bought a 73 vert about a month ago that is black which was not offered. The po was not aware of it being special. I had him send me a picture of the door tag and knew immediately that it was special by the no color and the DSO. Another thing that might be special on my vert is it has remnants of a argent side strip showing on the drivers door edge that was not painted when it was repainted over 20 years ago, still see inspectors stamp. The Marti says there were 144 special paint / trim cars made in 73 and that covers all body styles. It has been sitting in garage for 13 years still runs. The Marti does not give the paint color so like another member stated you need some more info from the DSO that ordered the car. I doubt I will be as lucky as you and get that info.

In 1973 I ordered my Mach 1 with the special paint option. You could pick any color used on any of Fords products. The big thick book the sales guys use had all this information in it. I picked a Lincoln color that was a metallic dark brown color. I didn't want to see another car like mine. I got a call at work that I would have to change the order that they could not paint the rubber bumper the desired color so I switched to stock color on phone. I wish I had gone down the list and picked another special color. That cut the options back to 27 on the Mach 1.

The extra charge was for transportation. They had to take the welded body off the line to their specialty shop where they do fleet vehicles like police that are two tone and odd colors for a corporations. They also did the show cars there to get a better job. Some show cars were actually painted twice once to find any flaws then again if needed.

After the paint was done the body was shipped back to the assembly line to be finished.

My buck tag is missing so don't know if there was anything on it or not would not expect there to be unless it involved not standard holes or brackets in the welded body. I have not pulled the seats and carpet to look for a build sheet either.

So I have asked Marti if there is any way to determine if my vert came with the argent side stripe or if it was added. Would be neat if it did for sure.

I have attached a couple pictures of car, door sticker, a word document with circle drawn around the stripe and Marti.

I am torn on which way to go with this car. I have tooooo many projects already a 67 year old can only do so much so I am probably going to sell it. Not going to sell to a flipper, listed in Asheville on cl, here is link. http://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/5188808362.html. I had one of our members over last week and he bought another car I had and he looked at it and said over $15,000 would be a good starting point he thought. It is not rusty had zebart since new, decent original interior. Had other options added that could come back off for the purist.

You have to always look close at these cars and never think it is the wrong color.

David

DSC00134.JPG

DSC00137.JPG

DSC00141.JPG

DSC00142.JPG

3F03H228536_dlxrpt.pdf

Side_Stripe.docx

Attachments

• 3F03H228536_dlxrpt.pdf
    378.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Side_Stripe.docx
    1,019 KB · Views: 5
Great find.

Don't know how I missed this post. It looks like two of us found cars with the special paint about the same time. I bought a 73 vert about a month ago that is black which was not offered. The po was not aware of it being special. I had him send me a picture of the door tag and knew immediately that it was special by the no color and the DSO. Another thing that might be special on my vert is it has remnants of a argent side strip showing on the drivers door edge that was not painted when it was repainted over 20 years ago, still see inspectors stamp. The Marti says there were 144 special paint / trim cars made in 73 and that covers all body styles. It has been sitting in garage for 13 years still runs. The Marti does not give the paint color so like another member stated you need some more info from the DSO that ordered the car. I doubt I will be as lucky as you and get that info.

In 1973 I ordered my Mach 1 with the special paint option. You could pick any color used on any of Fords products. The big thick book the sales guys use had all this information in it. I picked a Lincoln color that was a metallic dark brown color. I didn't want to see another car like mine. I got a call at work that I would have to change the order that they could not paint the rubber bumper the desired color so I switched to stock color on phone. I wish I had gone down the list and picked another special color. That cut the options back to 27 on the Mach 1.

The extra charge was for transportation. They had to take the welded body off the line to their specialty shop where they do fleet vehicles like police that are two tone and odd colors for a corporations. They also did the show cars there to get a better job. Some show cars were actually painted twice once to find any flaws then again if needed.

After the paint was done the body was shipped back to the assembly line to be finished.

My buck tag is missing so don't know if there was anything on it or not would not expect there to be unless it involved not standard holes or brackets in the welded body. I have not pulled the seats and carpet to look for a build sheet either.

So I have asked Marti if there is any way to determine if my vert came with the argent side stripe or if it was added. Would be neat if it did for sure.

I have attached a couple pictures of car, door sticker, a word document with circle drawn around the stripe and Marti.

I am torn on which way to go with this car. I have tooooo many projects already a 67 year old can only do so much so I am probably going to sell it. Not going to sell to a flipper, listed in Asheville on cl, here is link. http://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/5188808362.html. I had one of our members over last week and he bought another car I had and he looked at it and said over $15,000 would be a good starting point he thought. It is not rusty had zebart since new, decent original interior. Had other options added that could come back off for the purist.

You have to always look close at these cars and never think it is the wrong color.

David
That's some great info and that convertible is a great find as well. I had no idea before picking this car up that you could order a mustang and choose another Ford's paint color. I have dug around and found areas in the car that the color is the "Q" Winter Blue Metallic and I'm looking forward to getting it back to the original color the owner picked out.

I posted an update on another thread but thought I would keep both of the special paint cars info together. I did send to Ford and tried to get any further info and they said they had none. I did pull the seats and carpet and found what was left of the build sheet stuck in the drivers seat platform. Of course the oils from the sound deadening and time have taken a toll on the paper. I scanned it to high resolution and sent to Marti for his input. I figured he knew how to read one of these. He got back and told me to zoom in on the Remarks section below the standard things. There are three specific special order items for this car but we have only figured out the second one. The first has something about the Hood and Wheels.

The second is all there a says "Install Argent Bumper". The Third also starts with "Install" but cannot get the meaning.

So with this info the car was painted black and had an Argent front bumper from the factory. Think that the note on the hood could be a stripe for the hood and the other might be the Argent side stripe that there are still scraps of on the door edge.

I would ask that if Pheonix75 found his build sheet was there any special instructions for the build on it?

Attached the scanned build sheet for the black vert. Any CSI guys out there that can clean this up and read more?

BTW there was another black special order 73 vert on eBay last month so they just keep turning up. Don at Ohio Must. has had some also.

David

IMG.pdf

Attachments

• IMG.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Back