Connecting FMX Neutral Safety Switch to American Auto Wire Classic Update Harness

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 with 351C.
Nearing the completion of installing a new American Auto Wire harness into my 73 Mach 1 with a FMX trans.  I would like to keep and splice in the original connections, if possible.  Using the info below, could someone please tell me how to connect and to what color wire off the original connectors?

The instructions call for only 4 wires:

Backup and Neutral Safety Switch Connections (see Figure “II” on page 19) If you have a vehicle with an Automatic Transmission where the Back-up Light Switch and the Neutral Safety Switch are inside the vehicle on the Shifter, you will have to route the four wires (5, 6, 24, and 39A) to the Shifter and connect.

1. Back-up Light and Neutral Safety Switch Connections For both a Manual transmission and an Automatic Transmission, route the light green Backup Light/Switch wire (circuit 24) and the pink 12 Volt Ignition wire (circuit 39A) to the Backup Light Switch and connect. Polarity doesn’t matter. If you have a Manual Transmission, you will need to connect the purple Neutral Safety Switch wire (circuit 5) and the purple Starter Solenoid wire (circuit 6) together.

If you have an Automatic Transmission, route the purple Neutral Safety Switch wire (circuit 5) and the purple Starter Solenoid wire (circuit 6) to the Neutral Safety Switch and connect. NOTE: If circuit 5 and circuit 6 are not connected, your Starter Solenoid will not engage, and your Engine will not crank.

Wire # Wire Color Printing Description

5 Purple NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH Start feed from the Ignition Switch to the Neutral Safety Switch or to circuit 6.

6 Purple STARTER SOLENOID-S Start circuit from the Neutral Safety Switch or circuit 5 to the Starter Solenoid.

24 Light Green BACK UP LT SW->LIGHTS Feed from the Backup Light Switch to the Backup Lights.

39A Pink 12V IGNITION 12V feed to the Backup Light Switch.

Also, if anyone has any pics on how the Safety Switch wiring is routed up and into the engine bay it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not specifically familiar with the FMX but both are switching on the power wire.  The switch can be wired either way it just completes the circuit. On my car the harness routes through a couple of clips mounted to the bottom the floor. 

The wire that runs through the neutral safety switch to the starter solenoid is red with a light blue stripe. The wire that runs to the backup light bulbs from the switch is black with a pink stripe, the hot wire that runs to the backup light switch is white with a purple stripe.

Back