Console Clock repair

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trainey

Reaction score
My Car
1972 H-code Mach1
2010 GT Premium
2004 F150- The "home depot" machine
2018 HD RoadGlide Ultra
I had this guy repair my clock, and wanted to pass the info on so that if your clock doesn't work, and you want to get it fixed, this guy did good work for me. He is not the fastest guy to work with, but I thought the cost was reasonable, and the clock works great! Total for Labor, new coils, and main-spring was about $100.

James Ondracek

Omicron Clock

630-220-1924

[email protected]

James Ondracek

Omicron Clock

630-220-1924

[email protected]
Thank you for the contact. I need to get mine repaired. Do you know if he does quartz conversions? Years ago when I last had the car in use, eveytime the clock was plugged in it drained the battery down. I have talked to several guys who run clocks on older cars and they say if you store it without a battery tender the clocks run the battery down. They have done the quartz conversions as they draw a lot less power when in storage.

James Ondracek

Omicron Clock

630-220-1924

[email protected]
Thank you for the contact. I need to get mine repaired. Do you know if he does quartz conversions? Years ago when I last had the car in use, eveytime the clock was plugged in it drained the battery down. I have talked to several guys who run clocks on older cars and they say if you store it without a battery tender the clocks run the battery down. They have done the quartz conversions as they draw a lot less power when in storage.
I know he does on some classic car clocks, he did not offer that on mine, but I didn't ask either...

James Ondracek

Omicron Clock

630-220-1924

[email protected]
I know he does on some classic car clocks, he did not offer that on mine, but I didn't ask either...
Thanks for the information. I need to have my clock repaired and want to go with the quartz conversion as well. Although, it is a little pricey at $179. Here's the link:

http://omicronclock.auctivacommerce.com/Quartz-Conversion-Service-for-1971-1973-Ford-Mustang-or-Mercury-Cougar-Clock-1972-P674035.aspx

Thanks,

John

$179???

Does that clock take your car BACK TO THE FUTURE???

Check out your local clock store, and the movement should be $20 top, and the clock guy should do it for $50.

$179??? Is that a ROLEX movement? Although I was a horologist in my teenage years and I can assure you, a Rolex is nothing special.

(No...this is not a typo. I was a horologist, not a whorologist...not even once. Okay, I put in with 20 other guys for a 35 year old stripper once that didn't even take her clothes off...thank God).

$179???

Does that clock take your car BACK TO THE FUTURE???

Check out your local clock store, and the movement should be $20 top, and the clock guy should do it for $50.

$179??? Is that a ROLEX movement? Although I was a horologist in my teenage years and I can assure you, a Rolex is nothing special.

(No...this is not a typo. I was a horologist, not a whorologist...not even once. Okay, I put in with 20 other guys for a 35 year old stripper once that didn't even take her clothes off...thank God).
I agree the price sounds ridiculous. Has anyone used their local clock repair shop with success? Please share.

Many thanks!

John

My clock I rebuilt myself, filed the points and re-soldered

the coils. Remember to use clock specific oil, it does not

change viscosity with temperature fluctuations. A friend

built a device that uses a capacitor bank to fire the coils

so there is no direct contact between the battery and clock.

The main reason these clocks fail is the points stick together

and fry the coils. My "conversion" has been running over six

years and keeps perfect time. The jerky second hand and

tic-tic-tic sound is all original and impossible to duplicate with

quartz.

mike

quartz.

mike
Mike

Could we get more details on the capacitor bank device construction and connection?

Thanks,

Curtis

quartz.

mike
Hi mike,

I don't want to offend you or say the wrong thing here, but would you be interested in fixing or doctoring up my clock for a fee that would suit yourself? I would of course pay for all postage costs.

If you're not interested, i would well understand, and that's no problem at all.

My next plan of attack is to convert my clock over to quartz movement, and pay the big money.

Greg.:)

quartz.

mike
Mike

Could we get more details on the capacitor bank device construction and connection?

Thanks,

Curtis
Took a while to find this :D

http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/Misc/mustang.htm

and

http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/sam/sgmccsch.pdf

Sam built this for me as a favor and I doubt he is

interested in making any more, but I will ask him.

He is a busy man http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasersam.htm

mike

quartz.

mike
I most certainly don't have any friends like yours. Mine are good at talking about football and consuming large quantities of cheap beer.

"I most certainly don't have any friends like yours. Mine are good at talking about football and consuming large quantities of cheap beer".

I think we have the same friends. ::beer::

There are a couple of issues with the console clocks:

In '71 FoMoCo changed vendors and the General Time (?) electrical side are weak. They are easily identified by the two coils versus the single used on the earlier Borg clocks. Unfortunately the GT units are prone to fail when the battery gets too low as the points 'stick' and the coils burn up.

Converting to quartz is expensive because the set mechanism for the 71-73 console clocks is completely different and requires more labor and some proprietary parts so there is no 'do it yourself' conversion kit, thus the high conversion price.

Some of the recommendations I give my customers with their repaired clocks:

Disconnect the battery when the car is not used or rewire the clock so it is powered through the key like other accessories and/or install a 1A fuse inline so that if the points stick the fuse will blow before the coils.

I used to deal directly with Bob Preston in KY (he sold clocks and repairs on eBay as skybob1) to get springs and coils. He had a ton of NOS replacement parts, but he disappeared last summer (with one of my clocks).

Omichron will replace your OEM movement with another OEM movement - if they have one. I had discussed parts availability with them after skybob1 dropped off the face of the earth and they told me that they do the same as me - buy clocks and build good ones from the parts.

There are a couple of issues with the console clocks:

In '71 FoMoCo changed vendors and the General Time (?) electrical side are weak. They are easily identified by the two coils versus the single used on the earlier Borg clocks. Unfortunately the GT units are prone to fail when the battery gets too low as the points 'stick' and the coils burn up.

Converting to quartz is expensive because the set mechanism for the 71-73 console clocks is completely different and requires more labor and some proprietary parts so there is no 'do it yourself' conversion kit, thus the high conversion price.

Some of the recommendations I give my customers with their repaired clocks:

Disconnect the battery when the car is not used or rewire the clock so it is powered through the key like other accessories and/or install a 1A fuse inline so that if the points stick the fuse will blow before the coils.

I used to deal directly with Bob Preston in KY (he sold clocks and repairs on eBay as skybob1) to get springs and coils. He had a ton of NOS replacement parts, but he disappeared last summer (with one of my clocks).

Omichron will replace your OEM movement with another OEM movement - if they have one. I had discussed parts availability with them after skybob1 dropped off the face of the earth and they told me that they do the same as me - buy clocks and build good ones from the parts.
Great info... It sounds like the $179, while expensive, may be the best way to go. Not quite the rip off some have suggested. I'm leaning in that direction. Also, if I do go with the quartz, is is still suggested that I rewire the clock or add an inline fuse?

Many thanks and great info!

John

Hi mike,

I don't want to offend you or say the wrong thing here, but would you be interested in fixing or doctoring up my clock for a fee that would suit yourself? I would of course pay for all postage costs.

If you're not interested, i would well understand, and that's no problem at all.

My next plan of attack is to convert my clock over to quartz movement, and pay the big money.

Greg.:)
I emailed Sam and he is not interested in building another one,

even for $200. He said "it's just not something I consider fun".

He said anyone is welcome to use his design. The module is about

twice the size of a Zippo lighter and fits under the console. It could

be made more compact. The module probably contains $5 in parts.

mike

No, the quartz movements draw almost no current and don't have the electro-mechanical issues that the OEM movements have.
Thanks Bob!

That definitely seems to make the decision to go quartz the right one. Unless someone knows of a place cheaper than the $179 I'm going to end up going with them. I have a little time before I need to make the decision so I will keep my eyes open.

John:cool:

Back