CONSOLE DONE--PICS

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q code Mach 4spd
2004 350z
2005 Corvette
1971 Camaro SS/RS
Finished up the console for now..There's still a few little things I would like to do.. like redo the chrome using the metal tape like I had shown in one of my other posts about redoing the rear honeycomb panel trim..But I have to box it & have it shipped by the end of tomorrow so it can meet me in Colorado ..Came out nice considering all the cracks I had to repair..I will post up some pics once it's installed in the new 72

100_3859.JPG100_3860.JPG100_3861.JPG

Wow...you know I missed the note about using the tape for the chrome...I will have to check it out.

Thank you Q...

The one thing I always hated was removing/re installing the console. Always had trouble replacing the threaded fasteners into the hump....

Last edited by a moderator:
Where do you get the tape lowes home depot? And what do you call it when you ask them for it just got some used moldings so I want to do the same thing before I install them, do you have any tips.

Wow , you did a realy good job on that one "thumbs up"!!

Where do you get the tape lowes home depot? And what do you call it when you ask them for it just got some used moldings so I want to do the same thing before I install them, do you have any tips.
The tape I use is what used in the hvac trade for sealing ducts etc. I got it from the local hvac supply house..Its metal duct tape basically, they do sell it at lowes home depot but what I've bought there doesn't seem to be as thick and work as well.. Some tips: you have to keep the piece your using perfectly smooth if it bends it will show a kink mark...when cutting make sure to keep perfectly flat on a smooth surface ( I use a pices of glass) Use a cotton cloth for your final rub down when attaching to a part. The part needs to be perfectly smooth any dents pits etc will show...use a tack cloth to wipe down the part before you apply the tape.. Here's a pic of the stuff I use

100_3862.JPG

By the way Guy's

The console I just repaired was 1 of 2 I have...Here's the other which is the original from the Q code..(much better cond than the one I just repaired but still needs to be restored) Whats cool to me is that I've had the console I just repaired wrapped up since 1986 ! I was debating to sell it last year but decided not to..I guess deep down I knew I would need it one day..

100_3863.JPG

Wow...you know I missed the note about using the tape for the chrome...I will have to check it out.

Thank you Q...

The one thing I always hated was removing/re installing the console. Always had trouble replacing the threaded fasteners into the hump....
Your Welcome W

Here's a tip to make it easy installing the screws into the hump (threaded fasteners ?) Take a soldering pencil & where the screws go through the carpet poke the tip through.. leaves a nice clean hole so the screws don't get caught in the carpet..

What kind of paint u use? I used gloss black and it looks awful!!
I bet it does.. gloss black isn't the correct finish

See my video on how to prep the parts & materials I used (sem landau black)

I have a bunch more vids on my you tube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/fuzzenut/videos

Last edited by a moderator:
I already knew what it looked like before I clicked to see it. Anything you restore Scott turns out better than factory new! Looks great!! Thanks for the chrome tip with the heavy duct tape - that's awesome. I'll let you know how it works on my rear bumper. :p

In all seriousness, when laying down the very narrow tape over the original chrome "track", how do you do the tight radius turns without it making a wrinkle in the tape? I'll have to play with it some. Again, GREAT idea!

Back