Convertible frame question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will get many answers to this one, lol. Most of the 71 - 73 cars had a primer that was gray in color and there was over spray of the body color and then they sprayed undercoat in some areas of the firewall, under the floor in the wheel wells front and rear. The workers in the factory were very hit and miss on what they did. I have an all original, original paint 73 vert that on the drivers side the has moderate over spray on the inner fenders. On the passenger side there is gobs of body color on the inner but nothing on the suspension or bolts or anything added after paint so he just was happy with the paint gun. Some will say their cars had black but to my knowledge Ford never used black as a primer color too difficult to cover with the body color. Neutral gray is the happy medium to average out all the colors that is why they used it. Just like in photography a neutral gray card is used for getting the best average for an exposure.

You will have lots of answers to choose from I am sure.

I put a picture of the inner front fender area to show the difference from one side to the other on this one car.

David

DSC00122.JPG

DSC00117.JPG

If you're asking about the unibody rails and cross members, I paint them a semi-gloss black.. Engine Compt Done 1.jpgFront Lines Installed.jpgUndercarriage1.jpg

Here are the aprons and rear rails.. I use a urethane black with the additive to change the gloss from flat to high depending on my preference.. I do not use a rattle can on my restorations.. The paint just doesn't seem to last.New Lines Rear 2.jpgRight Apron in Paint.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, 'Convertible topics'. I think he is talking about the top frame. ;)

I just used some local hardware rattle can paint. I know it wasn't gloss. I wasn't looking for an original look, just something that would look good.

Hey Guys,

Yeah Mike, i think we are talking about the convertible frame here. David and piper's feedback is great but yeah, it's the vert frame f117rt is asking about.

So, i can offer some help here i guess. My '73 Vert had the original roof frame on it when i bought the car, and was in basically great condition. The factory finish is a 2 pack satin or low gloss black paint.

My frame was cosmetically blemished here and there in a few small places. I used a local Aussie company 2 pack satin black to do some minor touch ups, and found that to be spot on for a great color and gloss level paint match. I can't see why a 2 pack PPG satin black wouldn't fit the bill as well here.

Remember,with the exception of mat additive, industrial epoxy enamels, there is no substitute for a 2 pack satin black shot through a spray gun for a long lasting and durable, good looking paint finish.

Cheers,

Greg.:)

Back