convertible interior question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible, 351 C2V, 3 Speed Manual Transmission, Decor Group, Color Keyed Racing Mirrors. 6C Medium Goldenrod, White Knit Vinyl Bucket
I thought the Deluxe interior was standard on convertibles, but I see a lot of folks with the standard interiors in them, so was the Deluxe interior an option on the Verts, or was it standard? Do folks just prefer the standard interior so they change their Verts to the standard interior?

The base interior was standard for the convertible in 1971. A Decor group option was available for the convertible and Boss @ $97.00 and $78.00 for all other models. This option was not available on Mach 1 or Grande. The Decor group also included many items found in the Mach 1 Sport Interior. It also included rocker panel and wheel opening moldings, and color-keyed dual racing mirrors. In '71, the Mach 1 Sport interior was restricted to the sports roof models.
The deluxe interior became the standard interior for the convertibles starting in '72 and continuing for the '73s.

I thought the Deluxe interior was standard on convertibles, but I see a lot of folks with the standard interiors in them, so was the Deluxe interior an option on the Verts, or was it standard? Do folks just prefer the standard interior so they change their Verts to the standard interior?
I've always wondered also as I've seen far too many no matter what the literature says. I think many times the standard seat pattern is easier to come by for replacement, but it doesn't explain when you see other standard parts

I've always wondered also as I've seen far too many no matter what the literature says. I think many times the standard seat pattern is easier to come by for replacement, but it doesn't explain when you see other standard parts
Do you know if the color keyed dual racing mirrors were standard on the convertible in 72?

Do you know if the color keyed dual racing mirrors were standard on the convertible in 72?

Yes, the dual racing mirrors were standard on the 1972 convertible, but optional on the 71 & 73. Special paint would usually delete them and they would be replaced with the chrome rectangular mirror.

The standard upholstery and door panels are very cheap compared to the deluxe seats and molded door panels. Cost drives a lot of decisions for restorations, as well as availability.

Yes, the dual racing mirrors were standard on the 1972 convertible, but optional on the 71 & 73. Special paint would usually delete them and they would be replaced with the chrome rectangular mirror.

The standard upholstery and door panels are very cheap compared to the deluxe seats and molded door panels. Cost drives a lot of decisions for restorations, as well as availability.
That's funny, both my reproduction window sticker, Original Invoice, and my Marti report show the Racing mirrors as an option on my 72. My car was a sold unit according to the original invoice I also got from Marti, and was ordered with very few options, which is kinda interesting to me. The original owner apparently was trying to build a cheap, but still cool convertible. It has the Decor group, (Mach 1 grill, lower paint treatment with stainless dividers, painted front fender and hood trim, and the urethane bumper, and Mach 1 standard wheel trim), racing mirrors, 351 2V, but with standard 3 speed manual , power steering, AM radio, but no power brakes or disc brakes, and black wall tires,. Cheap Cheap !! LOL

Attachments

• 2F03H196955_dlxrpt.pdf
    331.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Original Invoice.JPG
    Original Invoice.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4060.JPG
    IMG_4060.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 0
That's funny, both my reproduction window sticker, Original Invoice, and my Marti report show the Racing mirrors as an option on my 72.

That was my mistake for not checking the revised 1/72 facts book, it shows the chrome mirror standard. The original sales book shows the color keyed racing mirrors as standard. Typical Ford mid-year model change up. Yours was built May of 72, so the racing mirrors were an extra cost option at that point.

1660681432482.png

1660681472874.png

It's interesting how the manufacturers will make these silly changes, to save a couple of bucks, but look like they are being cheap in the eyes of the consumer. Bean counters running a company is not a good idea.

Like any other manufacturer, the "Bean Counters" have their snouts stuck in many places. I have a GM friend who told me about a retainer that "Someone" in the front office determined they could do without on several vehicle lines. The .02¢ savings per vehicle would seem petty to us commoners. The "Counters" figured that same 02¢ multiplied by just one-days production at several GM plants ensured their job security, and as they say, the rest is history.

The mirror issue on your '72 could have been something similar or a supplier issue (I believe the new word is Supply Chain Issues). There was an engineering/supplier problem that delayed the availability of the automatic seat back release on the 71 Mustang until 1/71. Vehicles equipped with the Convenience Group option and built prior to 1/71 would reflect a partial credit on the window sticker for the missing automatic seat back release since it was part of a group option. So with a process that involves thousands of parts and constant engineering and running changes, these sorts of things were expected. Since these racing-style mirrors were also used on many different Ford and Mercury vehicle lines, it could have been a supplier capacity issue. These mirrors were pre-painted by the vendor, so there was definitely a higher cost involved than the chrome mirror. It could have been a decision by our "Bean Counters" to make them an extra cost option on all models except the Mach 1 and Grande'.

It's hard to point a finger at who and why a decision was made 50 years ago. Any engineers from that era that are still around probably get a good chuckle when thinking about us trying to sort through all results of their decisions these many years later!! :)

The mirror issue on your '72 could have been something similar or a supplier issue ----- Since these racing-style mirrors were also used on many different Ford and Mercury vehicle lines, it could have been a supplier capacity issue. These mirrors were pre-painted by the vendor, so there was definitely a higher cost involved than the chrome mirror. It could have been a decision by our "Bean Counters" to make them an extra cost option on all models except the Mach 1 and Grande'.

It's hard to point a finger at who and why a decision was made 50 years ago. Any engineers from that era that are still around probably get a good chuckle when thinking about us trying to sort through all results of their decisions these many years later!! :)

I'm willing to bet the runaway success of the new for '72 Torino platform had a fair bit to do with it. Kind of like why a good portion of the '72 F-code Mustangs received the FMX, as C4 production capacity was being consumed by the intermediates.

Like any other manufacturer, the "Bean Counters" have their snouts stuck in many places. I have a GM friend who told me about a retainer that "Someone" in the front office determined they could do without on several vehicle lines. The .02¢ savings per vehicle would seem petty to us commoners. The "Counters" figured that same 02¢ multiplied by just one-days production at several GM plants ensured their job security, and as they say, the rest is history.

The mirror issue on your '72 could have been something similar or a supplier issue (I believe the new word is Supply Chain Issues). There was an engineering/supplier problem that delayed the availability of the automatic seat back release on the 71 Mustang until 1/71. Vehicles equipped with the Convenience Group option and built prior to 1/71 would reflect a partial credit on the window sticker for the missing automatic seat back release since it was part of a group option. So with a process that involves thousands of parts and constant engineering and running changes, these sorts of things were expected. Since these racing-style mirrors were also used on many different Ford and Mercury vehicle lines, it could have been a supplier capacity issue. These mirrors were pre-painted by the vendor, so there was definitely a higher cost involved than the chrome mirror. It could have been a decision by our "Bean Counters" to make them an extra cost option on all models except the Mach 1 and Grande'.

I'm willing to bet the runaway success of the new for '72 Torino platform had a fair bit to do with it. Kind of like why a good portion of the '72 F-code Mustangs received the FMX, as C4 production capacity was being consumed by the intermediates.
Well I didn't really have an issue with it, I didn't pay for the mirrors, LOL Hemikiller did the research to figure out why he remembered it one way, but my invoice, etc., showed something else. He figured it out as a mid year change by doing his research.
That said, to me it would have made sense to make it part of the Decor package, since it had most of the Mach 1 stuff anyway, and it's the right look then. Chrome bumpers with chrome mirrors and painted bumpers and trim with painted mirrors, Mach grill with Mach mirrors, etc. All I know is mine looks right to me. ,

Latest posts

Back