Convertible Top Boot

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So after posting the photos above, I remembered I had an old Distinctive Industries boot stored away somewhere. I've had it for 15-20 years or more but didn't use it since when I bought it there were some whimpy foam pads that were just loose with the boot. I dug the boot out, bought some muslin fabric, a 2' x 2' x 1" foam, and some spray adhesive. I retrofitted the boot with the foam and installed it on the car today. I'm pleased with the result and now have a second boot for my car.

1682893237165.png
Foam cut to size.

1682893316183.png
Sprayed fabric and foam with adhesive, let set for a few minutes before adhering together.

1682893455029.png
I let the glue dry before trimming the muslin fabric.

1682893576867.png
Prepped the boot for spray adhesive. Sprayed both the boot and foam pad and let set for a few minutes.

1682893752042.png
Foam pad applied to the boot. Press firmly over the entire contact area to promote good adhesion.

1682893862809.png
Installed boot looks pretty good!

Attachments

• 1682893684167.png
    1682893684167.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
So after posting the photos above, I remembered I had an old Distinctive Industries boot stored away somewhere. I've had it for 15-20 years or more but didn't use it since when I bought it there were some whimpy foam pads that were just loose with the boot. I dug the boot out, bought some muslin fabric, a 2' x 2' x 1" foam, and some spray adhesive. I retrofitted the boot with the foam and installed it on the car today. I'm pleased with the result and now have a second boot for my car.

Foam cut to size.

Sprayed fabric and foam with adhesive, let set for a few minutes before adhering together.

I let the glue dry before trimming the muslin fabric.

Prepped the boot for spray adhesive. Sprayed both the boot and foam pad and let set for a few minutes.

Foam pad applied to the boot. Press firmly over the entire contact area to promote good adhesion.

View attachment 76227
Installed boot looks pretty good!
It looks great. Nice work!

when i got my '73 vert 3 wks ago i finally figured out how to install the boot cover. i sure didn't expect it connecting like that. i sure hope it don't flip off on the turnpike.

Attachments

• IMG_0062.jpg
    IMG_0062.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 0
I got my "Chuck's Padded Convertible Boot Repair" starter kit ready for my next project... :D Thanks Boss!!!

Attachments

• PofoTop1.jpg
    PofoTop1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Back