Convertible Top Switch

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLT73C

Reaction score
I think my switch for my top might have failed. It is very loose feeling when trying to toggle and top will not go up or down. I have also heard these newer switches are crap. The one in there now was replaced about a year ago and it was the second new switch we tried as the first was no good. It was replaced by the shop while they were doing a lot of other work.

2 questions
How do I replace the switch myself? How does it come out and how do install the new one?
What is the best replacement?

Use a special tool or a small screwdriver to spin the retaining nut off. It’s on the front of the switch just inside the black lever. You will probably need to get a hand on the back of the switch to hold it stable. It’s a PIA! Then a 2 wire plug near your emergency brake, and a single power wire, black with yellow dots…the rusty washer fits the switch to the dash curve.

Attachments

• AD02A69F-7B88-4CEB-9105-E5C81E1576E1.jpeg
    AD02A69F-7B88-4CEB-9105-E5C81E1576E1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 1F4B86D9-4A2B-4285-B052-6C48682AA630.jpeg
    1F4B86D9-4A2B-4285-B052-6C48682AA630.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 66BFFDE1-9397-4641-8D6D-0AFB368FCDB5.jpeg
    66BFFDE1-9397-4641-8D6D-0AFB368FCDB5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • E7F5D3B9-0833-4A15-862D-8927715543E1.jpeg
    E7F5D3B9-0833-4A15-862D-8927715543E1.jpeg
    947 KB · Views: 10
what is the easiest way to get back behind the switch? Can you reach it from under or do I have to remove stuff? If so, what all needs to be removed?

I don’t think there’s anything that can be removed, it’s all metal….you just have to have a few fingers on it to keep it from spinning while you take the nut off the front…

yes this post is 2 yrs old. but i'm trying to do the same... replace the top switch. got it unscrewed and can't figure/see how it comes out. can't reach. do i need to remove maybe the ebrake lever??? i'm lost. tks

Use a special tool or a small screwdriver to spin the retaining nut off. It’s on the front of the switch just inside the black lever. You will probably need to get a hand on the back of the switch to hold it stable. It’s a PIA! Then a 2 wire plug near your emergency brake, and a single power wire, black with yellow dots…the rusty washer fits the switch to the dash curve.
Same as rear defroster switch

yes this post is 2 yrs old. but i'm trying to do the same... replace the top switch. got it unscrewed and can't figure/see how it comes out. can't reach. do i need to remove maybe the ebrake lever??? i'm lost. tks
I replaced mine a few months ago. I started by removing the headlight switch first. You can get to that easier than the convertible top switch. With that big headlight switch out of the way there’s much more room to get that top switch out and you can actually see what you are doing. Both switches have to come out from behind. Headlight switch is fairly easy to remove though. While you have the headlight switch out, clean it up or replace if it’s old. Check the switch function and the illumination bulb too.
Note: for the convertible top switch I only needed the handle as mine was broken off. I took the handle off of the repro replacement switch and mounted it to the original RBM switch supplied to Ford. I didn’t like the way the new switch did not return to the center position from up or down. The switches can be disassembled.
This photo shows the new handle installed in the original switch.

Attachments

• IMG_5454.jpeg
    IMG_5454.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I replaced mine a few months ago. I started by removing the headlight switch first. You can get to that easier than the convertible top switch. With that big headlight switch out of the way there’s much more room to get that top switch out and you can actually see what you are doing. Both switches have to come out from behind. Headlight switch is fairly easy to remove though. While you have the headlight switch out, clean it up or replace if it’s old. Check the switch function and the illumination bulb too.
Note: for the convertible top switch I only needed the handle as mine was broken off. I took the handle off of the repro replacement switch and mounted it to the original RBM switch supplied to Ford. I didn’t like the way the new switch did not return to the center position from up or down. The switches can be disassembled.
This photo shows the new handle installed in the original switch.
tks steve, i'd much rather take the sw apart and clean the contacts. needless to say sw is not out so hoping it's obvious of how it comes apart.

tks steve, i'd much rather take the sw apart and clean the contacts. needless to say sw is not out so hoping it's obvious of how it comes apart.
It’s straightforward. There are two clips that hold the two halves of the switch together. Carefully remove those and you can separate the halves for inspection and cleaning. Be careful here as the pieces tend to just fall out. Here’s an exploded view of my original switch.

Attachments

• IMG_5452.jpeg
    IMG_5452.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
FYI, the defrost switch is different than a convertible top switch. Those 3 contact prongs in back are in different locations. Compare the part#'s to this one 87fox72mach was selling...

1706374700368.png

DAMN I got it out. getting hand up under dash even to try and remove the head lite sw = PITA. Sooo what i did is remove the dash gage bezel and push back the drivers vent and BINGO. Removed with easy. got apart cleaned contacts but still not working in the up position. i'll play with it more but the hell with it i ordered a new one from kentucky mustang.

Back