convertibles

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a 65 and an 05 vert. My preference is a 71-73 vert...now those are the ultimate Mustang convertibles. Maybe one day....

lollerz I felt like that the other day.....sun was out but man it was cold....but had to put the top down!
I like to tell people that a convertible is not a closed car that can be opened when it´s too hot but it´s an open car that only has a top so you don´t drown when it rains too heavily. ;)

Which is why you might see me driving at freezing temperatures in the middle of January with the top down wearing a cap and a jacket and gloves with the heater turned up to 11 when the sun is out. :cool:

I agree completely that this body style is the best vert ever. As stated previously in this thread, it looks as good with the top up as it does with the top down. This is my third vert and they are the way to go. When I was a kid I used to ride motorcycles. The wind in your hair and the smell of cut grass as you ride along. Awesome! The problem with motorcycles is the "other guy" who doesn't see you. The verts give you all the same wind in your hair and you can smell the surroundings, plus you have the added safety of metal around you.

Even more fun when they are a sleeper. Baby Blue with a white top and a built motor, good gears, improved traction, turned down duals and a big surprise at the stop light. :)

That's right Mike set the heater on Global Warming and roll it down the road.
I've done that tons of times with my Jeep CJ-7 - no top rawks!

That's right Mike set the heater on Global Warming and roll it down the road.
I've done that tons of times with my Jeep CJ-7 - no top rawks!
Yup. That's how I roll in the 65 too.
Me too! Feet are on fire and the end of your nose has frostbite! Wouldn't have it any other way.

The 71-73 Cougar verts are not to shabby either. That is what I drove in high school. Its where I took "Female Anatomy Class".

I just acquired my first vert and can't wait to get it finished. I have never driven a convertible before so this is going to be a new experience for me. Still doing research on HP and torque options...I love low end, neck snapping, take offs but am concerned with the vert body taking it. I had a bad experience with a buds 83 T-top camaro...I built the engine a little too strong for the car and every time you pop the clutch something broke, ujoints, diff gears, t-top glass, and more. But then again it was an 83 camaro. I do want a cruiser but a car that looks like our mustangs should be able to back it up with some bad to the bone power when needed. Has anyone had any issues with body twist or am I worrying too much again?

I just acquired my first vert and can't wait to get it finished. I have never driven a convertible before so this is going to be a new experience for me. Still doing research on HP and torque options...I love low end, neck snapping, take offs but am concerned with the vert body taking it. I had a bad experience with a buds 83 T-top camaro...I built the engine a little too strong for the car and every time you pop the clutch something broke, ujoints, diff gears, t-top glass, and more. But then again it was an 83 camaro. I do want a cruiser but a car that looks like our mustangs should be able to back it up with some bad to the bone power when needed. Has anyone had any issues with body twist or am I worrying too much again?
You are not worrying too much. The convert body is weaker than the hard tops. You can 'fix' this by going with some sub-frame connectors. I would recommend this regardless of your build. One of the best things I did. Do some searches on the entire forum (not just convertible section) and you will see some threads. You can also click on 'my garage' in my sig and in the modification tab you can see a shot of them.

You are going to LOVE having a convertible. There is NOTHING like having the top down on a nice day or cool evening. You feel more part of the environment.

Convertibles are the BEST!!! My first one my 76 Jeep I still have, my 2nd one a 89 Pontiac Sunbird GT Turbo convertible I still have, my 3rd 2002 Sebring (not pictured , daily driver) I still have, my 4th convertible 72 mustang I still have, my 5th convertible a 96 Mustang I gave to my wife to drive. They all are a lot of fun!! Top down Radio up!! :heart::D:run_horse:

jeep3.jpg

amc304.jpg

DSCI0158.JPG

DSCI0145.JPG

DSCI0344.JPG

DSCI0335.JPG

DSCI0338.JPG

DSCI0607.JPG

So I'll tell the story of how I got my car in this thread. My father-in-law's buddy Mickey is a carpenter and my wife and I hired him to do some work on our house. He mentioned to my wife that he needed to sell his car.

Wife on Phone: What kind of car?

Me: ????

WoP: A 1971 Mustang? Cool.

Me: ?????????!!!!!!!

WoP: Oh, it's a convertible? Coooool.

Me: *drool, stutter, drool* Engine?

WoP: A 302?

WoP: What were you looking to get for it?

Me: *crushing sense of dread*

WoP: Really?

WoP: Well, talk to you soon, Mickey. Bye.

Now, my wife is a decent person. She grew up in a family where dad always had a Corvette. She gets it. We talked about money. We talked about storage (and the need to make the garage usable). We talked about options. Eventually, she said, "Honey, if you don't buy this car you'll spend the next 10 years being pissed you didn't buy this car."

So Mickey came and did great work in our house and I wound up with a '71 vert that he'd done a lot of work on. It didn't run as well as I would have liked, the engine was grimy, and the badging was wrong. It wasn't a stock color. It didn't have the convertible top motor.

I couldn't care less. A new carb and a lot of tuning later, it runs like the beast it is, rolling down the highway eating asphalt cake with dinosaur frosting. I've cleaned up the engine and it's well on the way to being the monster of a car it has always wanted to be. In the meantime, I have the car I've wanted since I was 9 years old. I only commute 3 miles to get to work. I get to drive it almost every day. There's a lot left to do to it to make it perfect, but it's MINE. Mwuhahahahaha!

Also, the bulldog thinks car with no roof is the best idea EVER.

iog3fs.jpg

24lrkhd.jpg

Convertibles are the BEST!!! My first one my 76 Jeep I still have, my 2nd one a 89 Pontiac Sunbird GT Turbo convertible I still have, my 3rd 2002 Sebring (not pictured , daily driver) I still have, my 4th convertible 72 mustang I still have, my 5th convertible a 96 Mustang I gave to my wife to drive. They all are a lot of fun!! Top down Radio up!! :heart::D:run_horse:
Your Mustang looks just like mine when I got it. Exactly the same!

For some reason, this is one of my most favorite threads, ever. :p

Doc
The convertible forum contains all of my favorite threads. :coolphotos: :D

I like to tell people that a convertible is not a closed car that can be opened when it´s too hot but it´s an open car that only has a top so you don´t drown when it rains too heavily. ;)
True words! :bravo:

Just read through this thread and agree with everything. 71-73 verts do look the best convertibles. And compared to other Mustangs its head and shoulders above the rest. And dont talk about the 69-70 Verts, they just don't cut it, something looks wrong with the top up, the lines don't flow.

And other Verts like the 1970 Barracuda convertible, well some of them maybe worth a $1,000,000 but they don't look it, where as the 71-73 looks a $1,000,000.

Love this thread and agree with most of the comments. The body lines are what set these cars apart in my opinion. These cars have amazing body lines. It's amazing how many compliments I get and so many do a double take recognizing its a Mustang. It's crazy how many people say things like "wow, I'm not a Ford guy (or I never liked Mustangs) but I never realized how nice these 'verts are". I go to a local show and shine pretty often where there are typically ~200 cars on a good Friday night and been told many times that it's the nicest car in the show and they can't believe they are saying that about a Mustang. I'm like a proud papa! :D

Back