Converting 1971-73 Mustangs to Tilt Steering using a 1986 to 1991 F-Series Steering Column

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
 A project I've been working on is to convert a '86 to '91 F-series tilt column to a '71 Mustang. I just need to figure out if I'm going to use the Mustang ignition switch or the F-150 switch. I would prefer to use the F-150 switch, higher current capacity, but it's really tight. Did some test fitting and measuring today. I have a draft write-up about 90% complete and have attached. 

These steering columns for manual transmissions did not have a lockout connection from the transmissions to the steering column, instead having a button you have to push before removing the key to remind you to place the transmission in gear and set the parking brake. I believe it may be possible to merge an automatic and manual steering column to provide a lockout, and when I find an automatic steering column from an F150 I'll give it a try.

I originally posted this in the "What Did You Do To Your Car Today?" thread, but decided it could use it could use it's own thread in a tutorial.

I'll update the draft article as I make more progress.

Converting 1971-73 Mustangs to Tilt Steering using a 1986 to 1991 F-Series Steering Column.pdf

Attachments

• Converting 1971-73 Mustangs to Tilt Steering using a 1986 to 1991 F-Series Steering Column.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 27
Last edited by a moderator:
Back