Coolant Leak - Trying to identify part

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
‘73 Convertible, 302 4v
Found coolant underneath the car, thinking it was from the heater core or a loose hose clamp that I found towards the water pump, but with further inspection the connections at the part circled were wet and just above the puddle so I’m thinking this may be the culprit. I have download the shop manual but I do not see where this part is identified. Can you steer me in the right direction? I’m not sure what it is or its purpose and if it could be bypassed. Thank you.

Attachments

• 2955A3DE-1162-48D4-A43F-62CD3B5F5C77.jpeg
    2955A3DE-1162-48D4-A43F-62CD3B5F5C77.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
That's the water control valve for AC cars. It's purpose is to shut off the flow of hot coolant to the heater core when the AC is in use. The type on your car is a generic replacement unit. I bought a couple that look more like the OE part off Amazon a few months back. I haven't installed them yet, but they will be going in soon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003R33QZS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'd consider replacing the heater hoses while you're there, it's cheap insurance. You may need to slice the hoses at the core to avoid damaging the tubes. The outlet on the manifold is connected to the lower inlet of the core. The upper outlet connects to the water pump inlet.

1680901234984.png

It looks to be a sorry, improvised heater control valve. Chuck
That's the water control valve for AC cars. It's purpose is to shut off the flow of hot coolant to the heater core when the AC is in use. The type on your car is a generic replacement unit. I bought a couple that look more like the OE part off Amazon a few months back. I haven't installed them yet, but they will be going in soon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003R33QZS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'd consider replacing the heater hoses while you're there, it's cheap insurance. You may need to slice the hoses at the core to avoid damaging the tubes. The outlet on the manifold is connected to the lower inlet of the core. The upper outlet connects to the water pump inlet.

View attachment 75412
Thank you for the fast responses and suggestion. Looks like I found a small project to keep me busy for part of the weekend

I would recommend ditching the fancy braided hoses and going to a good quality standard rubber heater hose. The hoses you have serve only one purpose: Look cool and cause problems.

Ron

I would recommend ditching the fancy braided hoses and going to a good quality standard rubber heater hose. The hoses you have serve only one purpose: Look cool and cause problems.

Ron
The prior owner installed them and from what I can tell they're just a braided sleeve with rubber hose running through. Not sure if I'm a fan of them or not since I'm familiar with the problems that come with them. I will give this consideration as I dive into the project. Thanks for the recommendation.

Found coolant underneath the car, thinking it was from the heater core or a loose hose clamp that I found towards the water pump, but with further inspection the connections at the part circled were wet and just above the puddle so I’m thinking this may be the culprit. I have download the shop manual but I do not see where this part is identified. Can you steer me in the right direction? I’m not sure what it is or its purpose and if it could be bypassed. Thank you.
it's a heater valve

Back